• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fastmarc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the Euphyllia ancora. Where is the best location for it? Will it prefer to sit on the sand?
The reason I ask is that I got one about a month ago and I left it on the sand. I came home one evening to find a small area partially cover with some sand, which I cleared and a day later, it started dying from that same area. This continued until the entire coral died.
Any help would be appreciated.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

Euphyllia ancora (Hammer corals) are naturally found in more turbid, nutrient rich waters on the substrate. The death could've been caused by pathogens on your substrate (bacteria or protozoans, for example) that infected your coral. Or it could've been just coincedance. I know many people keep theirs on the sand (or close to it) without problems.

A helpful suggestion about the use of Reefs.org forums: I suggest you posts these questions to the General Discussion Forum if you'd like more responses and opinions. icon_wink.gif Advanced Aquarist Forums usually revolve around current and past articles (this month's invertebrates is about Hydrozoans, written by Julian Sprung). Just letting you know how these forums are structured icon_razz.gif The GRD is the most popular by far, and you'll get lots of good opinions and answers there. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: