• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jdl10011

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey all. Have a few random questions about an 6g Edge I'm setting up.
1. How often are water-changes required for this size tank?
2. What is the best method/procedure for actually removing the water during a change?
3. Best method for making sea water (add salt mix to ro water)?
4. When cycling a tank, do I cycle with just live rock, or cycle with rock and live sand?
5. Recommended source/brand for live sand?
6. Recommended thermometer?
7. Lastly, I live in Manhattan: recommend fish store within an hour?
Many thanks!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0

I would recommend weekly but it will depend on your bio load and coral choices. I would say half a gallon a week or 1 gallon every two weeks.

2. What is the best method/procedure for actually removing the water during a change?

Shut all pumps, syphon out the desired amount with a small tube into a container and replace with new salt water. I would add the fresh water slowly - you want to make sure it doesn't splash or upset the /corals when replacing water.

I use to poor it right into the rear filter of the edge and let it drain down as if the filter was on.

Remember - Make sure the water has correct salinity and temp.

Myself and other nano owners that I know buy the pre made saltwater from petco. There are a few brands out there and i believe they are all the same. It works great, Just heat it up and add.

The pre made saltwater is perfect for nanos. I get roughly 4 water changes out of a box over the course of 4 weeks. Many people use it. Some people advise against it because it gets pricey with larger volume aquariums.

(I have been using it almost 3 years)

Top off with distilled.

4. When cycling a tank, do I cycle with just live rock, or cycle with rock and live sand?

Cycle with sand and Rock.

When setting up:
Add rock, then sand, then water. It will become cloudy. You can avoid this by placing a bag (like a small ziplock bag or plastic bag on the bottom and pouring the water into that and let it gently overflow till it's filled.

You can really use any sand that's sold in stores. You don't need
Much so you can just buy a bag of that livesand they sell. With larger tanks some people avoid buying the live sand because it can get pricey. Again, in a nano it doesn't matter!

I would avoid the sugar sand they sell at petco. It's a mess!

You could go with one of those digital ones for now but most people would suggest going with a Controller. Something like a reef keeper lite or apex etc ( there's a few good brands)

Manhattan aquariums is great. It's on 37 and 11th I think.

Plenty of vendors on here to get livestock and equipment. And they don't mind answering questions!

Some suggestions

Check out picod's edge. (search for her thread)
Check out nano-reef.com (Nanos! Nanos!)

Use what others have had success with. An edge can be tough once stocked. (any nano can be)

Always have extra water premade. (that's why premade box water is great)

Good luck and take it slow.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Hey all. Have a few random questions about an 6g Edge I'm setting up.
Many thanks!

Hmm I never had that small of a tank so I am not sure about water changes.

Removing the water? Get a small hose and start a siphon with it, then you can also pick up some stuff that is on your rocks with the water flow. Then just dump in the water that you have made already..

Making SW yes, just add salt of choice to RO and testing the salinity to make sure it is the same as your tank.

You can cycle with just rock, just sand, or neither. You can put all non-live in the tank and then just take a shrimp out of your freezer (cocktail shrimp) and toss it in the tank, but for that small tank, i would only use a small piece. I also recommend putting it in a media bag so that you dont have the crap floating around.

For a small tank you may not be able to find bags of live sand. I would just use reg sand and then try to get a small cup of live from a fellow reefer and seed the tank like that.

Cant recommend a thermometer...

I am not in NYC so not sure of LFS there.

Just take your time and make sure that the tank cycles all the way before adding livestock.

IMO small tanks like that are a little harder to keep than a tank that is larger, so make sure that you stay ontop of the water changes and testing the water. Make sure that you always have a gallon of RO lying around to top off with.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I am currently setting up a 6gallon fluval edge.

Tank has been cycling with about 7lbs live rock and 10lbs of lived sand.
I recently added 3 snails and 3 hermit crabs.
So far no big ammonia spikes..might add a shrimp soon.

The answers provided are exactly.what I.did. I haven't done any water changes yet but plan on doing 1 gallon every two weeks. I also pre mix my own salt water.. I mix 5 gallons at a time so it should last 2 months..
My only recommendation is for you to.upgrade the lighting.
One thing I can say is that the tank will look great once complete. I have seen some really amazing setups on this forum..

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I am currently setting up a 6gallon fluval edge.

Tank has been cycling with about 7lbs live rock and 10lbs of lived sand.
I recently added 3 snails and 3 hermit crabs.
So far no big ammonia spikes..might add a shrimp soon.

The answers provided are exactly.what I.did. I haven't done any water changes yet but plan on doing 1 gallon every two weeks. I also pre mix my own salt water.. I mix 5 gallons at a time so it should last 2 months..
My only recommendation is for you to.upgrade the lighting.
One thing I can say is that the tank will look great once complete. I have seen some really amazing setups on this forum..

If I were you I would do a gallon a week in such a small tank. I would also not keep SW mixed for 2 months unused.

Just as easy to learn "exactly" how much salt you need for a gallon of water. and premix that gallon the night before and let sit with a small powerhead which should get the temp up to where it should be.

That is only me tho...

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Here is what I do with my fluval edge set up:

I do water change once every 2 weeks

I siphon out 1 gallon of tank water and replace it with pre mixed saltwater.

This is where a 5 gallon bucket and a powerhead comes in handy mixing it the night before I do water change. I use distilled water from the grocery since I dont have an RO/DI unit.

There are several ways to do it. either just regular sand and live rock, Live rock and live sand or vice versa etc. What I did with mine is live rock, half live sand and half regular sand.

Better to get some from an established tank. I used caribsea brand though and I'm not really sure if the bagged sand are really live as they claim it to be.

I go with the old school glass thermometers. Its cheap and it works.

Manhattan aquariums over at 37th st and 11thave(I think). It has been a while since I've been there.

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
very helpful info jeffvmd!

Question - Is there any harm in leaving premixed salt water for a lenghty period of time? I originally planned to premix 5 gallons and do 1 gallon change every two weeks however based on other responses, I may do 1 gallon once a week which would mean the 5 gallons would last about a month. Is there harm in doing this?

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I got a fluval chi (5.5g) on my desk. Water changes are once every two weeks. I don't like mixing water until the dAy it's due. I just put salt throw in a small powerhead and let it mix for a few hours while I work.... Then before I leave I do a quick water change and bam I'm done...

I personally don't like premixing salt days or weeks earlier... Not sure if it has an effect but it's just my prefernece...

Manhattan aquariums is prob the best place to go for anything reef related. They have both knowledge and frags!!! For cheap!!! Your gonna have the same look and feeling as when ur wife or girlfriend walk into a couch... Lol

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: