• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of reading and want to take the plunge.
I'm totally new to this and trying to get an idea of the hobby by starting out small. I hope it'll all go well in which case I'll move up to a 150 or so gallon.

So I was looking at the Finnex MT-2102 with refugium. I haven't been able to find any recent reviews of this setup online. It seems very reasonable. Any thoughts ?

Joe

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey man Welcome to the forum and this great hobby! Ive never used a nano such as that one but it seems like a bnice tank. One thing tho, with smaller tanks its a lot easier to have parameter swings such as heat and ph. If you are just starting out, I would recommend something in the 40b - 75 gal range. The more water volume the more room you have for error. Smaller nano tanks are best left to experienced reef keepers that are already used to regular maintenance routines and keeping perfect water parameters. Dont be afraid to ask any questions, there are alot of knowlegable people on this site that are very helpful. Just be careful who you listen to.

joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks fishman1069. that's what i've read. my plan is this--and please tell me if this is a stupid plan. i want to use a small tank and a big fuge. that way i get the hang of using the fuge. maybe a 30 gallon fuge for a total of 50 gallons or so. then when i get my bigger tank, i can use the fuge and save this smaller tank as a quarantine tank. what do you think ?

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
It sounds like an ok plan but why not start with a bigger DT? Your gonna want the extra room anyway. The biggest problem with this hobby is the addiction lol. You tend to run outta room pretty quickly once the tank is ready for corals. I would use the lil tank as a QT tank and get something in the 40 breeder range. You can get one pretty cheap. Check the marketplace.

joegoersch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like an ok plan but why not start with a bigger DT? Your gonna want the extra room anyway. The biggest problem with this hobby is the addiction lol. You tend to run outta room pretty quickly once the tank is ready for corals. I would use the lil tank as a QT tank and get something in the 40 breeder range. You can get one pretty cheap. Check the marketplace.

I will need a QT tank eventually if I move to a big tank, so I thought I'd start with a small tank, see how it goes, if all goes well, then I'll buy the big tank and use the tank as a QT. 40 gallon seems a bit big for a QT. Plus all the extra rock and sand will add up to $'s that I don't really need to spend...:spin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: