• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my upgrade from a 20 gal to a 75 gal reef is almost complete. My live rock is coming this weekend and after everything is ready, I want to add a couple of fish. There will be 2 percs that will be added from the previous 20 gal system but what else is good for a reef tank tank this size as far as keeping algae and everything else in check. I was thinking about maybe a yellow or purple tang, and a gobie or two. I'm curious to see what other people with similar sized tanks have.

TIA

Erica
icon_cool.gif

tomocean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on a small school of chromis damsels, purple firefish, a small tang, and probably a pygmy angel in my 75g (I also have a 30 gallon sump). My tank will mainly have soft corals and some inverts.

louey louey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G reef w/ many SPS, and few LPS, and 3 clams. The fish that are housed in this tank are as follows:

1-purple tang
3-False perculas
2-firefish
1-manderin
1-pearly jawfish

I had a yellow tang, but had to get rid of it due to stress that it caused the purple tang. They were constantly bickering. The purple tang seems to be getting a little more beligerant with his docile tankmates. He chases them and waves his barb at them. He didn't do that until recently. None of his tankmates seem stressed over this. These fish have been housed together for abbout 7 months. I'll keep an eye on this situation.

According to A PocketEexpert GUIDE MARINE FISHES by Scott W. Micheal, a purple tang is recommeded for tanks 100g and larger. (I didn't get this book until after I purchased the purple tang.) A yellow tang is recommended for 75G and larger.

Hope this helps!

I would be interested in hearing from others with purple tangs in 75G's.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 75 gallon reef, I have :

coral beauty
sixline wrasse
banggai cardinal
tiger goby
pair of percula clowns
pair of firefish

Peace,

Chip

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been pointed out to you, your tank is too small for a tang.
A fairy wrasse would be a real nice addition.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of tank for a tang is by oppinion.. I keep a tang in my 40 with no problems and it is happy. I think your stocking looks good. Cruiser pointed out some good and easy tangs in another chain. Let me know if you want me to pm them to you
icon_smile.gif

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a 75 is small for the mentioned tangs. My first fish was a small yellow tang. I eventually removed him due to aggression. Much later I decided to try a very small purple tang for algae control. Despite his size and the fact that he was added last, he still was extremely aggressive. HTH

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey Louey quotes Scott Michael who probably knows more about fish than anybody as recommending over 100 gallons for a purple tang.
Quillen, your tank is less than half that.
You may not have problems with the tang but to say it is happy is really stretching things. And I would suggest to you that if you were beggining again you would get a larger tank to keep a tang. Am I right?

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my tang is fine in the tank I have. We only get to play God of our own tanks and make recommendations. Unless you have seen my tank, then..
icon_smile.gif
. I have had a bunch of very experienced people rank my tank very highly in composition and health. This has no place in a discussion about LilBugger's tank, feel free to email me any future comments.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erica, my "opinion" is that a 75 is not big enough for a Tang. If you do a search you will notice that there are more posts about sick Tangs than any other fish by far. I have also noticed that the vast majority of these posts are from people who have Tangs in a 75 gallon or smaller tank.
Steve

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70 gallon

gold-striped maroon clown
coral beauty
flame hawk
one green chromis
royal gramma

If you get a clown, don't get a big one like mine. They are territorial and limit your other choices. The coral beauty is iffy, although mine behaves. IMO, the flame hawk is the coolest fish
icon_smile.gif
with the best personality too.

IMO don't put a tang of any type in there. They need considerably more room than that.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: bigtank ]

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider a royal gramma for your 75. Also, how about a couple of cleaner shrimp? They are the most annimated characters around!

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for all the replies
icon_biggrin.gif

I will definitley reconsider the tang now, and that is why I posted before I bought the fish. I have only had experience with my 20 gal reef and have only had 2 percs which was enough for that size of tank. I really like flame hawks, they are so cool how they perch on stuff and look at you, maybe I will think about one of those. I noticed that someone had a pygmy angel. Are any of the small angels reef safe? (ie: pygmy, bicolor, flame, or lemon) Also, I have seen sps tanks with a little yellow fish that hangs out in the sps.. what is the name of that fish? I know too many questions... but I thirst for knowledge
icon_wink.gif

Erica

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No angel is 100% reef safe. You get lucky with some. Even if they don't nip at the beginning, they might get a taste for something later on. If you like the fish enough that it is worth the risk to you, then whoever can chime in then.
icon_smile.gif

Best wishes on your tank, I hope it flourishes and brings even more joy to your life.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: