chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Searched but couldnt find any direct discussion of how many fish per tank. I know there are variables that what a tank can hold but but interested in what the norm is.

I've just established a 29gal AIO. Planning on 4 fish plus CUC and couple shrimp.

Others?

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
3 fish is good for that size tank.. you dont want to have to much bioload in there. plus u want each fish to have its own space and able to swim freely.. i have 3 fish in my 28 gal. i wont put one more fish in there. i feel like my 3 lil guys are already cramped in there.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
it depends on the fish. you could put 5 clown gobies in a 28gal and have no problems adding 2 or so larger fish. I have 4 fish in my 24gal (2 clowns, royal gramma, YWG), and I think that's enough. I could probably get away with adding a small blenny or something, but I would not house more than 5 fish.

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have six fish in my 24G right now. 2 small clowns, 2 neon gobies, a three stripe damsel and a purple pseudochromis/dottyback. Thinking of getting rid of the damsel at some point though. It works out because the fish all have their own territories - the dottyback swims through the rocks, the gobies burrow in the sand, and the damsel/clowns stay out in the open.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have an Occellaris Clown, McCoskers Flasher Wrasse, Red Firefish, Purple Firefish, PJ Cardinal and Mandarin in my 30g and they all have plenty of room. I was thinking of pulling the Wrasse out and replacing him with a little Goby though.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've had as many as 6 at one point in my 29 gal biocube and I would say that is the max. I currently have 4 as my emerald crab ate my 2 shrimp gobies. If you are going to max out I wouldn't get all "swimming fish". I would recommend to do a mixture of "swimming fish" (clowns, royal gramma basslet etc), a blenny to run around your rockwork and then some bottom dwellers like a jawfish or gobies. This was there are fish at all levels of your rockwork and they are not all competing for room to swim around freely. With that said I wouldn't get all bottom dwellers or all "rock work" type fish like blennies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: