• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to get a concensus of how much carbon you're using on what size tank. I know that some people don't use the recommended amount of carbon. (I've seen as low as 250ml (1/2 cup) per 50 gallons and up to 500ml (1 cup) per 10 gallons 8O with different brands)

I'm not really sure how carbon reacts with saltwater in terms of how much is necessary to effectively work. I am currently running carbon in my tanks for 4 weeks at a time.

I usually use either HBH Aqua Pure High Density Carbon, or Marineland Black Diamond - if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a 4x8" micron bag with carbon and use it in a media reactor on my 176 gallon. I actually don't repalce it as often as I should. I used to use it mainly to keep the water clear, but my water has been very clear without the use of carbon lately, so I haven't bothered replacing the old bag for a couple months now.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the premade filters that you add the carbon to, from the little envelope. Using a PF300 filter on my 25. I usually will have the standard two filters in place, but only one of those will I use carbon in.

Len, I heard that leaving carbon in too long can lead to it leaching phosphates back into the tank. Is this incorrect?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a filter cylinder that is fed with a MJ1200 pump (I guess that would be called a media reactor). The cylinder is 2.5" round and about 12" tall. I fill it about 3/4" full. I change it out every couple of month, if I remember.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: