Vinman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to thing that might apply to a Dc setup but most powerheads are AC so it's that wouldn't work!

fudge1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But dont most A/C motors reverse when wires are switched....i dunno,im not much good with anything electrical.

Im still trying to get over the time i was working on a N/O ballast......that was still plugged in
icon_eek.gif
,i just didnt think it was humanly possible to emit a shriek like that..heh

Thanks tho,anyone else?

Marc.

fudge1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone tell me if a relay were placed on the powercord of a powerhead,would current polarity change?...and change impeller direction?

Thanks,Marc.

fudge1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troy,

Kinda thought it was a long shot...figured if it could be done,prolly would`ve bin done a while ago.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanx anyways tho,Marc.

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc, I talked to my Dad today, (he's an electrician), and though he wasn't positive, he didn't think that a relay would effect the powerhead.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yu may want to check further only a few types of power heads can handle being turned on and of a hundred times a day. The most common ones sold will burn up almost immediately.

For a little more than the cost of materials Aquatechnics makes a plug stip that will turn two sets on and off at timed intervals for @ $40. Again the correct power heads are required.

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc, I guess my post wasn't clear. The relay won't effect the P.H. in a negative way. Might be worth a try. Depending on how the plumbing goes on the new tank I may not be using my wavemaker. If I don't I'll sell it to you cheap. Might be a bit of a wait though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy

I troubleshooted and repaired control systems for 12 years before moving on to the biology field. The relay set up you are describing will without out a doubt burn up a power head that is not rated to ramp up or down or just cold stop the flow of electrical power to it as many times a day as a wave maker set up will do. This is fact not trail and error. You must have the proper Power heads and that is why they cost more.

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave is there a difference in doing what Marc is doing and using a wavemaker? What P.H. do yo suggest. I used MaxiJets on my wavemaker and had few problems. I'm aware of the problems associated with wavemakers but what do you do?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxi-jets are one of the best PH for wave makers and run $40 - $50 a piece. The set up you are describing is how to make a wave maker the only thing I am cautioning against is using the wrong type PH ie AQUA Clear and the lot of $20 to $30 PH. There are a few other PH that work also.

Your idea is correct just that the cheaper PH will burn up.

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dave. Looks like there may be one piece of reef hardware that is cheaper up here in Canada. I get Maxijets for 18 to 33cdn. That's pretty good for you guys with the exchange rate
icon_smile.gif

fudge1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guy`s,
I got about 200 old powerheads lying around,so it doesnt matter much if i wreck one or two in the process....

Go figure.....about $4000 to set up a reef,and im chincen on a 100 buck item! Sheesh!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess im a die hard Diy`er.

Thanks again guys,Marc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, I guess that is why Ivy does not send me shopping. I just got back from the LFS. The chaper power heads run $8 to $15. The better PH are $22 and up
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: