bello0110

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tank big enough?

76 Gal Oceanic Half Circle (45.5x23x25)

I read all sorts of sizes (on average 10"-1.5'), but all pics I have seen in captivitiy are no larger than a 12" sp.

This tank will be designed for just the anemone(and some anemonefish of course!), large pieces of shelf rock in the center under a 400w HQI bulb. A Tunze Turbelle pump will be pushing 1600 gph around in this tank + the return pump, 600 gph. Skimmer will be a ETSS evolution 500.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally they tend to be found in the 11" to 20" range but have been known to reach 39" but pay no attention to what to pictures you see and what you've read as I have a Stichodactyla haddoni which tend to be considerably smaller than H. magnifica and when it wants to fully extended itself it reaches a diameter of about 18".
If you can find a smaller specimen your tank should be fine for a few years but I will also add the usual caveat for you to ponder: Anemones are quite capable of out living you with the proper care so keep that in mind when acquiring such an animal, it's long term care should be taken into consideration.

Regards,
David Mohr

bello0110

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39"? where did you read that?

Most sources have said 36" solitary form, in the ocean, Max size on record.

Anyone that is reading this post and has either seen or read and can direct me to the source of an H. Magnifica(in an aquarium!) of larger than 24" PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I have researched this heavily and would like to decide on the tank! This half circle tank is extremely expensive but offers a good amount of depth and an open area directly in the center for a 400w light.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bello0110":se2jyc6p said:
39"? where did you read that?

Most sources have said 36" solitary form, in the ocean, Max size on record.

Anyone that is reading this post and has either seen or read and can direct me to the source of an H. Magnifica(in an aquarium!) of larger than 24" PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I have researched this heavily and would like to decide on the tank! This half circle tank is extremely expensive but offers a good amount of depth and an open area directly in the center for a 400w light.

Anemone Fishes And Their Host Sea Anemones

Daphne G Fautin
& Gerald R Allen

page 32.

"Typically occupies fully exposed, prominent position, attached to solid object such as a boulder. Cylindrical column of uniform bright colour(commonly blue, green, red, white, chestnut brown).Oral disc to 1 m diameter (although commonly 300-500 mm), flat to gently undulating, densely covered with finger-like tentacles (to 75 mm long) that hardly taper to blunt or slightly swollen end".

1 m = 39.370"
The size of a tank will not stunt the growth of an anemone.

Regards,
David Mohr

bello0110

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave I like your ambitious responses, but your taking a quote from a book and then in your on words telling me a tank will not stunt the growth of an anemone.

How do you know this?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: