• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wwinters

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped a friend set up a 10 G. tank a few months ago for simple polyps, muchrooms and 1 fish. the tank has a slow leak and they want to replace it with a 20 gal.

They don't like the look of the heater and a bunch of power heads in the tank. I am deciding if I want to set up a system with a sump or if there is another option for hiding the heater and adding some flow so they don't need as many powerheads. The system will not have a proteen skimmer.

where can I find a 20 gal. drilled tank? None of my tanks have built in overflows so I don't know much abut them. Should my LFS cary them?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a submergable heater with a temp adjuster on it so it will stay a constant temp. I then placed it behind a rock structure in my 10 gallon. As far as the powerhead... you can try to hide it behind rocks as well, but I painted the back of my tank black so any equipment may be hidden a little better. Good luck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hide the heater behind the live rock, or if you use a sump, hide everything there. I don't mind my equipment because i got coralline algae all over them, so they blend in :D

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably silcone the leak on the ten gallon and use that as a sump. Put the heater in the ten gallon and then have about 3 return tubes, or about how many powerheads you have, and attch them to your powerheads. put the weturn tubes in diff. parts of your tank. You could attach nozzles to the end of each tube to better direct the flow also. That is what I would do. By attaching the nozzles they will be less noticeable, especially if you get those cool looking ones that are black and you can bend them in all sorts of ways.
John

wwinters

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of using the 10G as a sump and gettin rid of the powerheads in the main tank, but does anyone sell 20G that are drilled? I don't want to be responsable for a hang on the back overflow.

How do I find a drilled 20G. tank

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd search ebay first. Pre drilled aquariums can be pricey at times and more smalled aquariums I have seen that were pre drilled were acrylic. This is just my expierence though, I know there are glass pre drilled tank out there. My personal thought on it all....ebay baby...ebay :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: