• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

flamesfanont

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I bought some new live rock about 2 weeks ago for my tank and 2 days ago I saw this see through creature that looked like a squid near the back of my tank. I tried to get to it but it was in a rock so I figured I would watch for it and get it later. Well today in the same piece of rock I noticed this shrimp about half the size of my peppermint shrimp that is dull grey/purple color with one small thin claw and the other claw being this massive thing! I took the rock out of my tank and have quarantined it until I can figure out what it is. The big claw is making me believe it will be a predatory shrimp. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'll try and get a picture of it later.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi flamesfanont (is that a condensation of Flames fan Ontario?),

Welcome to reefs.org!!

You got me all baffled about the little squid-looking thing. Have you seen it again, or could you give a more detailed description?

That shrimp you found is almost certainly a pistol shrimp. You will occasionally hear it make a loud distinct snapping sound with that big claw. These are good guys to have, and are fun to watch whenever you get the chance to see them. They are usually very shy, more often heard than seen.

flamesfanont

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, flamesfanont stands for Flames Fan in Ontario. :) I have tried to get a pick of this shrimp but it hides in a piece of live rock in my tank and never really comes out. You have to look in the holes in the rock to see him. I believe you are correct that he is a Pistol Shrimp as I have looked at pics online to try and identify this shrimp and that species seem's like a match. Thanks for the help folks and I look foward to conversing more about our tanks. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: