A

Anonymous

Sorry, I don't have a camera now.

This algae grows in short, dense mats. The algae is dark green and very wirey. It's made up of many non-branching 'wires', growing in random directions off the mat. The wires themselves only grow to about 1-2cm in length. The mat itself is very dense.

Any ideas what this is? Or better yet, what might eat it?

I have a Scopas Tang that ate all the other algae, but he won't touch this stuff.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, I'm sorry you not gotten any answers to what type of algae. But do think of this for all algae's is not most require light as well as nutrients and if this is a reef tank their be many inhabitants that you can think of having like the smaller growing sea cucumbers and sea urchins but also sea customers I not believe that they feed on thick hair algae which might be the same for sea urchins.

Which I might believe if you might had these in place, they might had controlled this algae somewhat. But of course this is speculation on my part for when my reef tanks are ready in which I'm learning it not will be for a good long while now, I will house everything in which helps to maintenance the reef tanks besides in what I would have to do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wil guess bryopsis? Short and grows in a mat?

You can search on AlgaeBase.org for hints....

I find very few things eat bryopsis but it sucks at competing with other, faster growing alga. Do you have a sump? If you can get some stronger algae, it will fade away.....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link.

I'll tyr and post a pic soon, as I haven't had any luck IDing it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet if you can get an upclose clear pic, we can ID it. Although, I don't know that you neccessarily need to know what exact species it is? You just want it gone?

IME, there are a few Chaetomorpha species that are short, dense and wiry. They are really slow growers though. Does it look like this: (the one the seahorse baby is checking out)

Attachments

• 100_2357.jpg
    100_2357.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 504

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: