• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK folks.... tired of looking at the 3 36" VHOs over my 40g breeder (36"long x 18"wide x 16" high). I've got a 250w ballast and bulb kicking around, and a Spiderlight reflector to house it in. Putting a small PC to either side of the reflector for actinic supplementation is a no-brainer. Here's the problem tho- since the Spiderlight is designed to run perpendicular (front to back) to the length of the tank, what do I do about mounting fans?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chucker,
I think if you put the fans in the ends of the hood, they will still move the air enough. The only concern I would have is if the reflector will hang too close to the water.

I would also use standoffs between the reflector and the top of the hood to get more air flow up high in the hood.

HTH
B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the reflector will go from the front to the back of the hood. You might want to build your hood so the front and back sit out over the tank, and just run a rail on the inside to support it.

also, you might want to put your feeding door on the end, or split the front into a door, solid place for the reflector, and then another door.

Do you have a CAD program? I could send you a Vectorworks drawing of what I am talking about.

HTH
B

kmagyar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey chucker, Where you been hiding? If your looking for a hood, Im in the process of building a new one and getting rid of my old one. Want it? tell me if your interested and Ill send you pics.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is any help, but after a zillion ideas, this sounds best to us:

One on the back, pushing, one on the side pulling. I have had suggestions, and pics, of ways to divert airflow/top mount fans, etc as well.

If this could help, let me know.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: EmilyB ]</p>

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith- prolly gonna retro it into my current hood, or mebbe build a new one fer cheap. I plan on picking up the PCs from AH Supply, and I've already got all of the halide stuff. I don't think the Spiderlight would fit in your hood, and I'm only gonna use a single bulb in it anyway. Thanks for the offer tho!
icon14.gif

kmagyar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I heard you need fans though. I have them too. Free, cant beat that. Maybee I could get some of those micro stars out of your refugium.

Let me know.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: