M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that some corals that have been thriving in one tank sometimes do not do so well in a different tank, eventhough the second tank has adequate lighting and good water parameters. In particular, it seems that some corals (e.g., soft corals) become adapted to PC's VHO's. Once adapted, they just won't make it when moved to a tank with MH's. For example, I bought some Xenia from someone that had them thriving under VHO's, but they don't seem to be doing so well under PC's or MH's (the Xenia was added to 3 separate tanks with different lighting). Moreover, my finger coral took more than 6 months to adapt from PC's to MH's when I switched tanks.

If this is true, then the types of lights that the corals are kept under at the LFS, for example, will determine the survivability of the corals in your own tank. I suspect that this may be true for clams as well.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Or have I got it wrong?

Mike

whirley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I think moving corals from tank to tank with different lighting does effect the corals in some way. Lighting does have different effects on tanks.

For example, currently, I'm running 2 tanks on a shared sump, so both have the exact same water conditions. My 15 gallon is running on a LOA PC 65w 65K and has no hair algae at all. My 20 gallon has a 250 w MH 65K on top of it, and has hair algae. (blah).
Same water conditions, sand, liverock, etc.
Just different lights...

I do think there is an adjustment period the corals go threw from tank to tank.

IMHO, corals in LFS aren't there that long. So, they don't really have a chance to adapt to the LFS lights. But, usually the lights are really bad at LFS, thus they will die, eventually.

So...my conclusion: "I have no idea what I'm saying."
icon_razz.gif

Milz, need any xenias? FREE !!

whirley

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: