Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Picked up some encrusting montiporas (reverse sunset, rainbow, etc) and they are growing fast on the frag plug. I'm assuming that once I place them onto my rock work, they will cover the whole thing, from the sand line, up to where the rock goes into the shadows. So this sound's like a plague about to happen. In the past, I've had pavona coral take over the entire rock, go up the glass wall. I've also had palyzoas, GS, zoos, etc do the same thing and now I'm wondering if I'm about to make a mistake with these monties.
How do you guys limit the monties growth? have a rock island in the sand? A little is fine, diversity is key.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
heh, not inspiring a lot of confidence for me... I'm going to set up a few rock islands in the sand. It works for zoos, but I think the sand is going to irritate the monties. When I was snorkeling in Florida, every once in a while, I'll find this large coral ball of porite on the sand. Upon closer examination, it looks like the coral was growing on a pole and over time, the growth turned into a sphere. The pole must have been from old foundation.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have a few species of encrusting Montis. The island theory is a good one. I do that with many spreading species of coral like zoas etc... unfortunately some species may need more Par than what they’ll get on the bottom and either will not thrive or just have no coloration.
What I do, and it may not be the best method, is use a kalk paste on a toothbrush to scrub the encroaching edge when it gets to close to another coral like my acros. Sometimes I can also use a knife and chip it off and start frags. I wish I had that problem with my more expensive Montis like my Kung Pao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
In my frag system, I elevate all encrusting species above the rack with a small egg crate platform. That way, when the encrusting gets out of hand you can remove the sub rack and soak it in vinegar.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hmm, so not going to be enough PAR for an island on the sand bed, and elevate it off the base. Hmm. OK, so what if, I were to build an island on a rock? Say I encrust the montie onto an oyster shell. Then I mount the entire shell to a rock, but raise the rim of the shell 1/4" off the rock, basically don't press the putty down all the way, leave that gap there. Then super glue the shell to the putty top, to hold it in place. I'm guessing the whole thing should look like a live, encrusted oyster. Alright guys thanks, for brain storming!
This also reminds me of seeing acro coral frags, which were suspended in the water column by fishing line.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Hmm, so not going to be enough PAR for an island on the sand bed, and elevate it off the base. Hmm. OK, so what if, I were to build an island on a rock? Say I encrust the montie onto an oyster shell. Then I mount the entire shell to a rock, but raise the rim of the shell 1/4" off the rock, basically don't press the putty down all the way, leave that gap there. Then super glue the shell to the putty top, to hold it in place. I'm guessing the whole thing should look like a live, encrusted oyster. Alright guys thanks, for brain storming!
This also reminds me of seeing acro coral frags, which were suspended in the water column by fishing line.

my ai grow monti on the sand bed 30 inches low maybe more.. I guess it depends on the coral? And light??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: