Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a rule of thumb for heat packs and temperature? I'm trying to figure out how many I need to maintain a reasonable temperature for ~3 gallons going to a location where the night temp falls to 40 F.

Maximus1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about a formula, but with that much water, I would use at least 2-3 heat packs. I would also use a large igloo cooler. Way worth it in the long run and is vrtually indestructible. Are you shipping the black tang?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm planning on. I am hoping for someone local or in the same shipping zone, but that's probably too much to hope for :)

Nautilus1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater is a very good insulator. Im assuming your tang i slarge and therefore u will use a lot of water. 3 heat packs seem like an overkilto me. is in overnight delivery? U also mus consier if an airplane will be used for deliver. the cargo areas get very cold. Ground and air require different amy of heat paks if any.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many heat pack depends not on the size of the shipment for most situation, but rather, on how good of insulator is used to box the content. If you use an open bird cage, you will need a lot more heat pack than a stylofoam box.

Maximus1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still use a minimum of 2, imo, unless you were shipping within CA. If you were shipping to another state back east, with temps in the low 40's, 2 would be preferable.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 80 in NJ yesterday. Look at the weather forecast unless you want cooked tang! mmmm. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":2hwgtta6 said:
How many heat pack depends not on the size of the shipment for most situation, but rather, on how good of insulator is used to box the content. If you use an open bird cage, you will need a lot more heat pack than a stylofoam box.

Having shipped thousands of boxes in the MO industry, I can say your kinda wrong here. True and open box would need more, but that's a moot point as no one ever ships in an open box, and it's against the TSA rules to do so ;) I never used more then two in an Indo Size box, 1 per FLA half box, 1 per level of a PI box, 2 per Tongan box, 2 per Bali box, 2 per Marshall box, and 2 for a SI box.

You can definitly over do a box with heat packs. To many (like 2-3 in a small box) will lead them to use up all the o2 to fast, and you'll only get half the heat time. Stick with 1 - 2, and if doing a small Igloo, use 1x 20+ hour one. Activate them prior to putting them in (make sure they're warm first), use a loose packing of newspaper, and follow the typical red guideline as to what side is up. IF they get wet, they will cease to produce heat, so be sure to keep some dry newspaper between them and the bags. HTH

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to try both tangs. One will be shipped today via UPS next day air to a location where it still gets down to the low 40s over night. I'll probably ship with just a gallon of water (plenty of water!) in a styrobox. I'm thinking 2 small heat packs (about half the size of the ones I normally see, rated for "long life" ... don't know how long though :P). Will use newspaper as suggested and mark directions on the outside of the box. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"as to what side is up" meanig the heat pack. The have a perfed side that is needed to be left open, ie. not taped against a flat surface, making the perfs seal and renderring the heat pack useless.

Marking on the box is a good idea as well. To bad no shipping company actually follows them though. Every tilt meter I've ever sent, has come back as tilted :lol: I've watched them drop a half pallete of livetock boxes at the airport, and roll them back on, while I was standing 20' and had just finished telling the dock worker to "be gentle" :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":ns4wp6b3 said:
seven ephors":ns4wp6b3 said:

Having shipped thousands of boxes in the MO industry, I can say your kinda wrong here. True and open box would need more, but that's a moot point as no one ever ships in an open box, and it's against the TSA rules to do so ;) I never used more then two in an Indo Size box, 1 per FLA half box, 1 per level of a PI box, 2 per Tongan box, 2 per Bali box, 2 per Marshall box, and 2 for a SI box.

You can definitly over do a box with heat packs. To many (like 2-3 in a small box) will lead them to use up all the o2 to fast, and you'll only get half the heat time. Stick with 1 - 2, and if doing a small Igloo, use 1x 20+ hour one. Activate them prior to putting them in (make sure they're warm first), use a loose packing of newspaper, and follow the typical red guideline as to what side is up. IF they get wet, they will cease to produce heat, so be sure to keep some dry newspaper between them and the bags. HTH

I would never argue with someone who send out dozens of boxes with heat pack, but one thing that people need to keep in mind is the size of the box is related to how fast the heat loss. After all, it is just a thermo problem, with many variables. One such variables is the path of the package. Shipping two identical boxes to two different location can calls for different number of pack. For example, one goes to Las Vegas, and other to Alaska., etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ever use one unless I am shipping stuff in an Indo sized box, then I use two and no more. Always 40hr packs as well.

As far as tilting goes, I once asked a FedEx rep about this. Regardless of how you label your box, they will NOT guarantee direction. I'm sure if you shipped Custom Critical that would be one thing. So in essence, "This Way Up" means absolutely nothing to them. You're at the mercy of whatever individual is handling your package at the time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JustPhish":2xlxgbmd said:
I only ever use one unless I am shipping stuff in an Indo sized box, then I use two and no more. Always 40hr packs as well.

As far as tilting goes, I once asked a FedEx rep about this. Regardless of how you label your box, they will NOT guarantee direction. I'm sure if you shipped Custom Critical that would be one thing. So in essence, "This Way Up" means absolutely nothing to them. You're at the mercy of whatever individual is handling your package at the time.

:lol: Custom Critical for shiping fish, thanks JP, and got my nightly laugh :D Could you imagine the freight bill for a couple fish :D

I just sent some stuff CC, and the tilt meter was shot when it arrived :lol:

I always shipped via Air cargo, so 20h was totally fine for me, but if I was using FDX/DHL,Etc, 40h would be my choice as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: