• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Baianotang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most expencive fish I have ever bought, was marine (I have marine and freshwater pond) , for $180 that hurt my student poket, whats the maximun you will ever pay for a 6 fin animal.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pushing it for me. But, let's assume that, for sheets & giggles, I have the disposable income. Then the answer would be, for a prime young koi, let's say a showa (one of my fav's), yeah, $25,000 seems a good price for a 6"-7" fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I would pay that kind of loot for a fish.

Maybe a couple of hundred would be my top amount. Fish just die to often to fork over that kind of cashola.

Louey

doublette

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":10m2r44f said:
Fish just die to often to fork over that kind of cashola.

But koi can live 50 to 70 years...

Even if I had that kind of money it would be hard for me to part with it :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't spend anything over $70 or so on a marine fish. If I was a koi breeder and stood a chance of making some money from the offspring, I would spend considerabley more. Nothing like the price you mentioned though.

Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet Christ on a crutch, those things are GORGEOUS!

However, I would still go with a good koi. Its pricing is actually not out of line for, say, a pedigreed Arabian or Thoroughbred. That fish would be insured, just as I insured my valuable horses.

Hatebrigade

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true, the pricing is reasonable when you compare it to the other purebread pets you can own, most purebread dogs go for around $500-1k USD, and paying around 500-1500 for a RTG aro isn't exactly outrageous either.

but as far as koi are concerned, filling a pond will generally require more then one koi, where a single aro gets a 150+ tank all by himself! :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an animal such as those shown in your links deserves something FAR bigger than 150! :P

Toss those babies into a couple or three thousand gallons and woo hoo!

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a 3 hour surgery done on a koi!! They removed (for the second time in seven years) an ovarian tumor/mass. The fish was 25 years old, hand brought over from Japan and had never been mixed with any indemics...

Interesting to watch for certain.

Wade

Hatebrigade

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that those arowanas get around 3 feet fully grown, so you are right. 150 is way too small, ideally they'd want a tank that would be more acustomed for a shark, more square shaped rather then rectangular.

its common practice also to keep the tank 75% or less full. as they are excellent jumpers (have the ability to snatch birds out of trees).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: