A

Anonymous

Okay, my alk sucks, it's almost non-existent. I have Mydor pH buffer with alk supplement, but I suspect this isn't doing one bit of good.

What can I use?

I drip Kalkwasser, and would like to see a coralline explosion...

Please list products when you can.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Can you give me pH and Calcium levels? Those levels might influence our answers.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moe : pH is 8.4, calcium is 450+

Bob : So SeaChem 'Reef Builder' is a direct alkalinity supplement?

Thanks,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not certain of the make of the test kit (I'm at work and can't check it right now), but did three separate tests over the span of 5 days and it read 0.0-0.7 each time.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise your alk using a product like Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" without effecting your pH.
Just mix it with RO/DI water and add it slowly.
jdeets can give you more information - he was the one who told me.
I found Super Washing Soda in a mom&pop type grocery store down the road from my house. The huge supermarket in the neighborhood didn't have it. Comes in a big yellow box and is usually located in the laundry detergent aisle.
BTW - can you please (when you get home) post the name of the alk test kit, the units it uses, and check to see if it expired? Just for curiosity.
Thanks + good luck.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion--with alk indicating that low, I'd spend $10 on a new Salifert alkalinity test kit before I'd spend anything on supplements. I find it difficult to believe that your alk would be that low with pH at 8.4. With alk at that level, you'd have a very unstable system and wild pH swings.

Get a new test kit, or have the water tested at the LFS. If that shows that your alk really is in the cellar, then we'll talk about how to correct it without making your whole biomineral balance go topsy-turvy.

BTW, what is your water change regimen?

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, SeaChem Reef Builder is specifically for alk. This is from the product label:

"Reef Builder ? raises carbonate alkalinity without immediately impacting on pH. With long term use there will be a tendency to stabilize at pH 8.3. Carbonates and calcium are essential to all coral growth. If either becomes deficient, coral growth will cease, followed by a rapid decline in coral health. Used as directed, Reef Builder? will not deplete calcium, magnesium, or strontium which usually tend to precipitate with increasing alkalinity. Reef Builder? and Reef Buffer? may be used together. Use Reef Builder? to raise carbonate alkalinity without affecting pH."

My alk was consistently around 1.7, and Reef Builder easily brought it up to about 3.0 using the recommenced dosage. It's easy to use by just adding it to your top-off water.

-Bob

ignore those "?"s. the "TM" symbols got converted to a "?" when i copied it over.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: rBeOeBf ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: