• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Foe everyone with overflows, does the divider int the outside of the box come clear up to the top of the box, water level, or somewhere in between?

Thanks
b

Cindy S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my sump built (acrylic) I ordered three dividers so that I could position them to accommodate skimmer and reduce bubbles. Actually, I never installed them. I had extra pieces of LR and that was enough to eliminate bubbling.

There's no RIGHT position for the dividers. You need to experiment with them when the system is running.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cindy thanks, but I am talking about an overflow box to get the water to the sump. In most, there is a divider in the outside box to prevent the syphon from breaking. I am trying to find out if that divider goes up to the water level of the tank, or something else.

Thanks, though.

B

KVK

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The divider in the outside box needs to be a high enough that the end of the U tube stays submerged. Then when the power is off and the outside box drains, the siphon will be held by the water on the U-tube side of the divider. I put the top of mine about 2" above the bottom of the U-tube. Works like a champ, hasn't broken siphon in the year and a half since I built it. HTH

plankton123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b,

If you have an acrylic tank and I assume you are good with tools, etc then why not build a built-in return and do away with the overflow box? Built-in returns are more reliable, don't add bulk to the outside of the tank; although you'll loose a little space inside.
<BR>
Sounds like a good weekend project...it does.
<BR>
Enjoy.
<BR>
Scott

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my overflow dimensions. it is working good for me. i have a mag 9.5 throttled down a little

later
Lunchbucket
Overflow+design.JPG

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/happ...h&.view=t]if pic doesn't work here is the url

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Lunchbucket ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: