findingnemo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know what this is

This has been in one of my dead coral skeletons. Good or Bad? Sorry that the pics look crapy its the best I could get.

Attachments

• tank stranger 001.jpg
    tank stranger 001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 178
  • tank stranger 002.jpg
    tank stranger 002.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 178
  • tank stranger 003.jpg
    tank stranger 003.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 177
  • tank stranger 004.jpg
    tank stranger 004.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 175
  • tank stranger 005.jpg
    tank stranger 005.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
This has been in one of my dead coral skeletons. Good or Bad? Sorry that the pics look crapy its the best I could get.

I agree that it looks like Stomatella Varia, which is an excellent algae grazer. However, if you don't like its appearance, you may sic your Arrow Crab on them :rolleyes:

More info

Excerpt: Almost slug-like, but possessing an auriform, cap-like shell, individuals of Stomatella seem unlikely to be Trochoideans. However odd their appearance, their internal anatomy puts them squarely in this group. Stomatella individuals may reach lengths of about an inch and a quarter (3 cm), and as their specific name of "varia" implies, they may be almost any color, although gray, black, and mottled colors tend to predominate. They are quite good grazers, and also reproduce well in aquaria lacking hermit crabs and shrimp predators. Their shell shape precludes their retraction into the shell, but evolution has given them a rather neat way to escape many predators. The rear portion of their foot can break off, much like some lizards' tails, when they are threatened by a predator. The detached portion then writhes, and twists and otherwise distracts the predator while the snail, presumably, makes good its escape. Additionally, they also tend to be nocturnal and avoid a lot of visually-oriented predators in this way.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: