redfishSC

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of the xenia group as photosynthetic. However, apparently not everyone thinks so. Check the link below and do a "Find on this page" (click "Edit") and search the word "photosynthetic". The first two hits you get state that xenia is NOT photosynthetic.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/xeniidsysfaqs.htm

Is this true? I did a google search and the overwhelming majority of hits say that it IS. wwm is a great site, so I don't know what to think now.....
8O

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stunned too: I also took them as photosynthetic! I think that almost everybody (else) lists them as photosynthetic.

I don't know what to say, I think that Fenner knows his fish and invertebrates, but may be a bit wobbly when it come to corals? Or he was tired?

M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Xeniid pulsing, health, co-stocking/lighting
Hi Bob,
Hope this finds you well amidst all the recent chaos.
<Yes my friend, thank you>
Quick lighting question.
Am trying to isolate causes for my xenia not pumping, am thinking it may be
lighting.
<Hmm, unlikely... as you likely know these soft corals are not photosynthetic>
I have a 60 gallon, 20 inch deep tank, with 130 gallons in blue/white
pc lighting. I am also keeping a derasa clam, and hope to acquire a toadstool
and other leathers as well (no hard corals planned). Is my lighting enough? Is
it worth the $300 to upgrade to a 220 pc watt for the animals I hope to keep?
<For the other animals yes. Look to alkalinity, biomineral, iodide deficiency, testing, augmentation for your Xeniids though. Bob Fenner>
Cheers,
Javier

I hardly ever answer coral questions but is this what you're looking at?
If it is Bob is partially correct; look at the post again. :wink:
Xeniids
There are many genera and species in the Xeniidae family, some are not photosynthetic. What we commonly call Xenia are.

Regards,
David Mohr

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the question was about Xenia, so the guy that asked was really asking about our common Xenia... so Fenner is wrong. (for once!).

M.

pontiacgto

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true there are many different types of xenia, however I have two spiecies one is a true blue and is still pumping(had it for 2 years) and, what has been called a long stem xenia(brown/red color) this one is not pumping but growing like wild fire. I read a book by julian sprung"invertebrates vol 1and 2 and he said the do have zooanthellea, which is the symbiotic alage. I moved the true blue closer to the light and within just a couple of weeks i noticed it growing better and more color. I did the same to the long stem and it began to die off, so imoved it back and is doing great. so i am sure it will depend greatly on the species. also xenia remove a lot of suspended organic waste from the water as a food source. so why would the need light? hope this heled and not confused you, if you find any thing else out let me know, everbit of info is good. thanks

pontiacgto

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true there are many different types of xenia, however I have two spiecies one is a true blue and is still pumping(had it for 2 years) and, what has been called a long stem xenia(brown/red color) this one is not pumping but growing like wild fire. I read a book by julian sprung"invertebrates vol 1and 2 and he said the do have zooanthellea, which is the symbiotic alage. I moved the true blue closer to the light and within just a couple of weeks i noticed it growing better and more color. I did the same to the long stem and it began to die off, so imoved it back and is doing great. so i am sure it will depend greatly on the species. also xenia remove a lot of suspended organic waste from the water as a food source. so why would the need light? hope this heled and not confused you, if you find any thing else out let me know, everbit of info is good. thanks

pontiacgto

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: