Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Zuska, I feel like we have been over this.

MH is extremely intense lighting. It is fabulous for clams, SPS, even some LPS. Will it burn some corals? Probably. Of course, you can also try to create caves and overhangs with your aquascape to get around this. Over a 65g tank, you will probably want 2 MH bulbs at 175 or 250w. (It's 36 in tank, right?) You might be able to get away with one if you invest in a good reflector, but it will probably be darker on the edges. This is good for your corals you don't want to burn, but may not give you an aesthetically pleasing effect.

For a 36 x 18 tank, you would probably need at least 6 36" T5 bulbs. The light will be a little less intense, but your tank will stay cooler. You may have to put clams and SPS up higher. Because they are less intense, you may need more lights to cover the whole tank which could equal more electrical usage.

You keep asking which is better. The answer is .... it's whatever you prefer. Whatever is best for what you want to keep.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
what kind of lights do u use? IM CONFUSED dont know which 1 to purchse? I want to keep alot of polys and mushroom coral, etc and clams. thanks for the info.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Right now, I use power compacts. I am upgrading to MH. I would have upgraded to T5s, but the fixtures were too expensive for me for a 36" tank. You can click on my tank log link and see exactly what I keep right now.

I would suggest browsing the tank threads. Look at people's tanks you like. See what they keep. See how it looks. See what lights they use. Then make a decision. There is no one right answer.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you can get away with 4x39w t5 bulbs if you get good reflectors w/ an icecap ballast. I am growing SPS and a clam at the bottom of the tank so there is alot of light.

That being said i am switching to MH to see if it will help me get better color out of my SPS. If you go MH the chances are you will need a chiller. And they use more electricity so MH is a bit more expensive to run imo. But there is no substitute for the natural shimmer that MH gives you.

i have never heard of aqua vim, so i can't comment. But i like to buy the more well known stuff that you know other hobbyists seem to like. Which usually costs more but you get what you pay for usually.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: