• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob,

I have been spending some time researching and looking into purchasing a linkia multiflora (the commonly referred species, typically red blochy coloration) and I have a question.

How can I best ensure a correct identification that a star I am looking at is indeed a l. multiflora starfish???

It appears that the coloration, and that they have a more blunt (not tappered) tip to their legs. Is there anything else, anything more positive?

Thanks,

Lebowski

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

To ensure that you possitively have a linckia multiflora is quite simple. The appearence is fool proof. The colors are always ( rarely never) a tan color with red blotches (spots) and many have blue tips on the arms. If you see this pattern, it is definetly a Linckia Multiflora sp.

When searching for a star at the LFS, look for a nice plump one. They should be active. Also, make sure you see no bumps in the starfish, although a bumb in the center of a starfish is no problem. Those are parasites which will eventually kill off your linckia. Search for a multiflora with no damaged tissue and obvioulsy no holes or anything that looks damaged to your eyes.

There are breeds of Multiflora in which they are blue, very rare and I have never come across one of these species.

Acclimation should be a MINIMUM 4 hours, ideally 6. They are very sensitive to any sudden changes in temp. salinity, ph and nitrate, ammonia, nitrite. The mutliflora is relatively "tough" compared to it's brothers and sisters, linckia leavigata,Leiaster teresa, and the linckia sp.

You must have PRISTINE water quality in order to acheive any succes with this star. Also, they will not accept any food given to them, in order for them to survive, plenty and I mean PLENTY of live rock is necessary, in which this is their primary and secondary diet. They consume micro-organisms, bacerial and algae flims.... stuff like that :eek: .

This is the only star which in my opinion and experience ( I have one of my own, wouldn't you think?) can be kept in a smaller tank limiting to a 29 gal. Remember, the larger the tank the more live rock is needed. And I seriously mean this, you need a lot of live rock. My 29 has 60 lbs of LR.

When the multiflora is happy and satisfied in your tank, it may drop one of its arms! Don't worry it's not a death sentence, it's actually the opposite. The linckia feels that the tank is suitable and there is enough food that it will drop an arm in order to regenerate a new starfish, obviously asexually. The arm should look very skinny at first and then it will drop. The main linckia will grow a new arm and the other arm will soon be a starfish!!!

Good luck with this starfish, they are beautiful! Please do not put this starfish if you aren't up to the job of giving it its needs, in which this post by me should give you plenty of info on!!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: