A

Anonymous

A simple trap is to take a plastic coke bottle (size depends on your tank) and cut off the top. Invert the top and push it into the bottom. You now have a trap that the mantis can get in, but can't get out. Just put some food in there and leave it over night. In the morning you may have a mantis in the bottle (and some crabs as well
smile.gif
).

Note: this trap is not fool proof, but something you might be able to try in the mean time.

HTH,
smile.gif

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

If that doesn't work (and it didn't for me), get one of the commercial traps. My mantis shrimp liked fish food (formula 1, prime reef) so the way I got this to work, somewhat inadvertantly, is as follows:

Put the food in the trap and decrease the sensitivity on the trap door. The mantis will become acclimated to getting food out of the trap. Then on say day number 3, increase the sensitivity. I finally managed to trap it by putting a small rock in front of the trap that he had to squeeze around to get in, and this slowed his exit enough that I was able to manually wiggle the trap with a fish net to get the door to close. The shrimp seemed to know how to get the food out without tripping the door even at the highest sensitivity settings.

A

Anonymous

I was sitting on the bed last night watching my reef and out of know where out pops a mantis shrimp from one of the live rocks. I took the canopy off took the rock out and dipped it in fresh water for awhile and nothing (he must have had a back door). Now he has dissapered in the tank. What can I do to get him out cant sleep at night knowing he is in there munching on my hermits and snails please help.

A

Anonymous

I've had one for a couple years now, since I got the live rock. He's always been pretty small. Somehow he made it down into my sump and moved in to a rock that I subsequently moved to my refugium, where I saw him again for the first time in months. He's actually a lot of fun to watch, and I don't expect him to cause me much trouble in the refugium. He's about 1 1/4" in length and doesn't seem to have grown since I got him, so I hope he stays small and un-troublesome.

-Jim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: