• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Ok guys need your help now for the last month or so i have noticed hair algea growing in my 28 gal nano now i just rip it out but now im ripping it out every week its growing like crazy i do my weekly water change and levels are on point so my question is this bad for your tank and how can i get rid of it.

yesjenks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just had the same problem. I spend a few hours scrubbing it off everything with a tooth brush and kept my lights of for 2 days. So far, it seems to have made a huge difference!

What kind of light are you using? Not changing your bulbs can cause hair growth.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Heard of some people getting a sea hare. I had a small problem with them but i kept my lights off for 3 days and then put them back on for about 4 hours a day then gradually added an extra hour each day till i reached 6 hours. Now i only keep my lights on for 6 hours and one extra for linar lights.

Oh i also did a water change before shutting off lights and right before turning them back on.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Do you use rodi water?
You can get something to eat the algea but a real solution would be to find out why the algea is growing so fast.
You wouldnt repaint a house until you found the leak, right?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excess organic matter in the tank can sometimes be the cause of hair algae. The easiest way to remedy this is adding a powerhead with quick filter to reduce the floating matter. Other than that you can use a tooth brush and a siphon to make sure you get the hair algae and organic matter out of the nooks and crannies of the rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: