• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefer51

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a digital camera about a month ago and have tried taking pictures of my tank with less than satisfying results. I realize that with just 1.3 megapixels my camera has limited capabilities. By the way, the camera is an OLYMPUS D370.

I try using the macro feature, which seems to helps, but the pics still come out pretty fuzzy. I've also experimented with the flash and found that mine seems to take better pics with flash off. Also, I have feature that allows me to compensate for different types of lighting. My tank is currently lighted by a 175W 10K MH and a 192W of PC.

The main problem I have is that I cant post pics on Reef Central or Reefs.org because it says the attachment is too big. If anybody can help in any way, or has one of these cameras I would appreciate any and all help taking better pics - I need it! Thanks, Kevin

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi Reefer, sorry to hear that you're having problems with your cam...hopefully one of us can help. :)
Your pictures might be coming out fuzzy for a variety of reasons, the most likely of which are 1) camera is too close to the subject to achieve good focus; or 2) no-flash requires the shutter speed to be very slow, causing blurring in the picture.
Therefore, the solution based on my guesses would be to 1) back up a bit to let the camera focus properly, or 2) invest in a tripod (even a cheap one will do) and take pictures with the water circulation off.

As far as resizing pictures, you will need some type of photo editing program. I currently use Photoshop, but I'm sure there are certainly other very capable (and maybe free) programs out there that will let you do a simple resizing of your picture down to a web-friendly 640x480 or so (your camera takes pictures at 1280x960).

So, hopefully this helps, and also feel free to check out the Basic Photography Info thread in this forum if you haven't already. :) Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
NKT":d3b0vq3y said:
As far as resizing pictures, you will need some type of photo editing program. I currently use Photoshop, but I'm sure there are certainly other very capable (and maybe free) programs out there that will let you do a simple resizing of your picture down to a web-friendly 640x480 or so (your camera takes pictures at 1280x960).

I'll toss in an addition here. Microsoft's photo editor (built in on just about any Windows system) has a relatively decent photo resizer. You could also go to www.tucows.com or www.cnet.com and download any one of half a dozen different basic image editing programs to do it. My personal experience with most of them though is that you get what you pay for (in other words, if you dl a freeware proggie, don't expect it to do much. :D ). As you get more into photography, it's definitely worth the investment to go at least photoshop elements or something similar. I only keep bringing up PS because it's what I use. I understand Microsoft puts out a good aftermarket digital editing program as well. I think Roxio either has one or is designing one now, too.

Cheers,
John

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":dimna302 said:
As you get more into photography, it's definitely worth the investment to go at least photoshop elements or something similar. I only keep bringing up PS because it's what I use.

Cheers,
John

I'll also point out- If any of you are involved in an educational or not for profit setting, Adobe seriously discounts their products. I can get licenses for PS7 for like $50 through my university. (Not exactly sure on the number, but I'm nearly positive it is less than $100...)

Regards.
Mike Kirda

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mkirda":15g12cft said:
Sharkky":15g12cft said:
As you get more into photography, it's definitely worth the investment to go at least photoshop elements or something similar. I only keep bringing up PS because it's what I use.

Cheers,
John

I'll also point out- If any of you are involved in an educational or not for profit setting, Adobe seriously discounts their products. I can get licenses for PS7 for like $50 through my university. (Not exactly sure on the number, but I'm nearly positive it is less than $100...)

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Wow, wish I could get that around here. I'm registered as a grad student for summer courses at IUPUI, but the cheapest they can get PS7 (at educational pricing) is around $350 or so. Hey that's still half price, but still pretty pricey. :?

mkirda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":6v29ny9f said:
Wow, wish I could get that around here. I'm registered as a grad student for summer courses at IUPUI, but the cheapest they can get PS7 (at educational pricing) is around $350 or so. Hey that's still half price, but still pretty pricey. :?

Try http://www.journeyed.com/ $299
$388 for a bundle that includes more software.

Do a search for adobe academic pricing. You may find it for less.

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: