• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other day i got a fish that looked a lot like a Swallowtail Angel but it has a black strip twards the front of her face any one now the name of this fish???? or have one ooor any good info on them would bee cool. my lfs told me he was realy ezy to take cair of and he was eating within minets of being in the tank

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus melanospilus is my best guess. Relatively hardy fishes; disease resistent. Planktivore that feeds only from the water column. Will eat just about anything you throw in the tank. Attains max size of about 7". Sexually dichromatic (you have a female). Occurs in a wide range (from the Indian Ocean to the Indo-Pacific).

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks a lot like that but their is a black stripe infront of her face and from the black line forward the fish is gray colored

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks a lot like that but their is a black stripe infront of her face and from the black line forward the fish is gray colored

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a vertical stripe righ befour his eye (the side closer to her tail) that travels from top to botem of the fish

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other distinctive features?

The only Genicanthus sp. that I know to have a vertical black line right behind its gills is Genicanthus semifasciatus (Japanese Swallowtail). Maybe?

A pic would be so helpful
icon_rolleyes.gif

Cruiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I thought it was possibly "G. watanabei", but you say the black line is complete right behind the eye.

So maybe a "G. bellus" female, and the black stripe dosen't go past the pectoral (side) fins? Have yellowish / orange dorsal - anal fins? Have afairly large horizontal black line? lyretail tail fin with black edges.

How about "G. caudovittatus" Zebra Angel, with the female having a black stripe from the eye to the head, black stripe of near end of dorsal fin on body and lyretail has black edges.

Does it have a longer body length then body height, more of a streamline shape with a lyretail shaped tail fin. This generalized description should help in identifying if it is a Genicanthus species.

HTH
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: