• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dangerboy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm new to marines, and have had my tank set up since January, I've just added my first 2 corals. I don't know what type they are, so any help is appreciated. BUT I added them yesterday, this morning I went down to the tank and the bigger 'leathery' coral has what look like cobwebs on it (I'm guessing mucus?) and brown spots coming from the pores. I've attached pics (sorry they are not that clear, but I havn't perfected underwater photography:) )

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Tank details:
48x18x12
fluval 204 external
802 powerhead on undergravel
protein skimmer
one Blue Actinic and one White Flourecent Tubes
Ocean rock and some live rock

Livestock:
4x percular clowns
1x maroon clown
1x boxer shrimp (tyson :twisted: )
1x hermit crab
2x snails
and some other crab that came on my live rock!!

Attachments

• pict0003.jpg
    pict0003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,473
  • pict0004.jpg
    pict0004.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,470
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few modifications you might want to make.

Get rid of the Fluval and the undergravel. Your protein skimmer (depending on which one you have ) should be plenty.

And it doesn't seem like you have enough light to keep corals. Two standard florescent tubes over a 75 gallon tank is not quite enough. Look into some power compact (or even VHO), or possibly metal halide lighting.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for picture taking, turn off your camera's flash and all the other lights in the room - so that the aquarium is the only light source, thereby the brightest ... :)

dangerboy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at t-5 lighting at the place where I bought the coral from, and that is my next investment (probably next month if the finances allow!) so do you think the biological filtration will be enough? I was thinking of binning the u/g and getting a bigger external like a ehiem pro.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get rid of the fluval, and get rid of the undergravel

and let the live rock biofilter

what skimmer are you running on the tank?

dangerboy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, thanks for the tip, now just need the fish to keep still :lol:

anyway, does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with my coral? I don't want to loose it, but fear I may. I have added some kent additive today. Also what type of coral is it?

TIA
Darryl.

panmanmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your coral is a leather, possibly a toadstool but not sure. as for the mucus and brown spots my devil's hand leather shows the same signs about every 2-3 weeks as he grows, yours should be fine. as for getting rid of the fluval i run a 304 with just carbon in it mainly used for water movement only that's another option you have instead of just getting rid of it and wasting the money. let us know how your leather makes out, should clear itself up in a few days.

P.S. Welcome to REEFS.ORG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dangerboy, welcome to reefs.org.

Also, I strongly suggest you invest in some books. Since I'm very familiar with it, I'll suggest "The Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates", by Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner. I'm also going to push Julian Sprung's "Corals--A Quick Reference Guide", as well as tomes by Eric Bornemann (sp?) on the same subject. I think there are others here who will have many great suggestions as well.

It seems to me that you have jumped into this with insufficient research, and you'll end up spending more to repair and replace than you will in acquiring the books, it really is money well-spent.

dangerboy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seamaiden; Thanks for the recommendations, I will be investing in them soon (If it's written by the great Mr Fenner I don't think you can go wrong!!) I already have books and have read them, also using the internet for resources, but there are not many things available for the beginner. Most of the books cover the extreme technical aspects of keeping corals, but miss out the most important basics - Of the books I have read none cover things such as water additives, and even the simple things like climatising the coral to the tank (floating in the bag etc.) and so with out the basics they can be very hard to follow. I have also taken advice from my LFS' but some of which again conflics?!?!

I appreciate everyones advice, and find this one of the best ways to learn.
:D :D :D

Micah00

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The browns spots are the leather polyping out. Leathers from time to time mucus over and you won't see the polyps, then it will shed the mucus and you will see it start to polyp again. Sometimes it will ball up and remain like that for a prolonged period of time, in most cases this is healthy and regenerative.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: