A

Anonymous

My DIY overflow couldn't handle My mak 4 running wide open. SO It looks like I will be buying one. Which should I buy. One Problem. I only have 8" width So the Lifereef I wanted is out of the equation.

TIA
b

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you get away with two Single feed lifereefs one on each side?

If not then you may consider a smaller return pump to flow less water through the sump and use your larger pump in a closed loop setup for your circulation.

Jeff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff, I have the tank 100gal long as a room divider, so I only have 1 of the short sides against a wall. The wall has a column going up where the end of the tank is, and only leaves me 8" clearance for all the plumbing and wiring up to the top of the tank.

One more not so minor thing. my whole tank is tempered glass. so doing a closed loop is mostly out of the question.(so much for the bargain of a used tank.)
b

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Bingo ]

MIKE NY1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Amiracle also w/no problems...with only 8" you have limited choices. You may need a smaller pump or a ball valve on the return to cut the flow rate down.
What I did was build a spray bar on the return which cut down the flow rate, but spreads it over a larger area. The size and number of holes in the bar will determine the flow rate.

Good Luck
Mike

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: MIKE NY ]

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo, You don't need to necessarly drill your tank for a closed loop. Just make a PVC siphen with a strainer to pull water over the side of your tank to your pump. Make the siphen down deep enough so it does not suck in air from the surface creating microbubbles.
There is no chance of overflow. As long as its below your water line with the power off your fine. The pump can sit in the stand below the tank and since the water falls down to the pump and goes back up to the same point with out ever going to the sump there is No head loss except for the 90 deg. bends. When the power is off the water just sits in the pipes and does not move. Then a smaller lifereef would work for you.

Jeff
icon_biggrin.gif

CAPT PETE

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited space behind my tank, so I went with a cpr, big mistake. Eventhough I never had one not restart, the maintainence to keep it working properly was a lot of work. I changed to a custom lifereef overflow and the maintainence is minimal compared to a cpr. Call Jeff at lifereef and he if he will make an overflow to your dimensions. He did for me and it works great.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capt Pete: What are the dimensions and what is the flow rate? ( I still may build one...)

Thanks
b

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: