0   0   0
is this possible it looks like the purple and pink and red corraline
icon_confused.gif
never heard of it

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's coralline or not. Every once in a while it will suddenly start to grow in my tank, stay for a brief time, and then disappear.

Bob

Cindy S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a sponge? (Please no flames, I'm a beginner) Some of them are flat and brilliant orange. Jeff's says that they aren't easy to keep, they die back if there are fluculations in tank parameters.

geofloors

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about coralline algae turning orange because of bacteria. The bacteria has been named CLOD ( coralline lethal orange disease). The book states that it is spreading in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Early stages are marked by orange dots. Also states that all species of encrusting red algae are susceptible. I took all of this from a book that was printed in 1997 so I'am not sure if there are any updates.

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked similar to the light minty green type, only orange. I don't think it was bacteria in my case, since it grew in areas where there wasn't any coralline already present.

Bob

stevemcadoo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have some of the mint green type and it is turning orange where it is getting exposed to the light.( I suppose that is whats happening). It has stayed green for a long time but is growing out into the light and turning orange to red the further up it goes. No other coralline in turning color light purple and maroon and bright purple are all staying the same. This has taken several months. I dont know if this is the same. Good luck!, Steve

jiml77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one rock that came completely covered with it on on side. Still looks great after 3 months in the tank. Came with batch from Gulf View. If it;s like mine I would not worry a bit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: