Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received some new live rock and there is the popping noise that supposedly is made by either a mantis or a pistoil shrimp. I think that I have found where this shrimp is, so what is the visible difference betweent he two?

I know I should try and remove a mantis shrimp but should I even worry about it if it is a pistol?

Steve

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a pistol shrimp, I'd leave it. I was actually considering buying one to go with my goby.

I've never had either, so someone else will have to tell you the difference in their snapping so you can get an idea of which one it is.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Mantis the tapping/clicking will be more in a series usually more than 3 and may last for minutes at a time, this is the Mantis either breaking open the shell of a hermit crab, snail, etc., they also break apart the rock work to gather small pieces to build its lair. You'll pretty much be able to hear it on the other side of the room.

Regards,
David Mohr

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can actually see the shrimp. It is nestled in between the gravel and the rock on one side of my tank. It was out last night but now appears to have closed the entrance to his little lair. I think it is a pistol because it is digging in the sand.

Hopefully this info helps

Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Reeffreak:
I can actually see the shrimp. It is nestled in between the gravel and the rock on one side of my tank. It was out last night but now appears to have closed the entrance to his little lair. I think it is a pistol because it is digging in the sand.

Hopefully this info helps

Nope not really because Mantis Shrimp will also dig tunnels. Here are a couple of links to help you try to ID it:

pistol shrimp
mantis

Regards,
David Mohr

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: davidmohr ]

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at those links, I think I have a pistol. The shrimp, from what I have seen, does not have the characteristic body of a mantis shrimp.

Thanks David

Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: