Dustin5000

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got this new tang last tuesday. he is a spotted yellow eye tang. he acclimated very well and was sampling algae off of rocks withing 30 mins of being introduced. however, i have been unable to get him to eat any food that i prepare. whenever i open the doors to feed, he hides, and my rabbitfish is so protective of his seaweed clip that he tries to fight the tang off everytime he gets near. i have been feeding generous portions of mysis. he just wont come out while i have the top doors open and he stays hidden for a while after i close them, so the food is long gone. he does not yet appear to diminishing, i assume that there is enough algae in the tank to keep him happy for now as he is constantly grazing on stuff i cant see half the time. i know it is still early, any thoughts/suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you stated, the fish is still new. Tangs especially can be skittish and shy for a few weeks. After a while he get used to you and the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sohal did the same thing when I got him. He hid until all of the food was gone.

I always overfed my tank then added an algae clip after all other fish were fed. That way they wouldn't be as interested in the algae sheets.

Louey

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kole Tang did that the first couple of weeks. Try offering him some spirulina formula. Mine seems to love that stuff. He'll get started soon.

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here. my purple tang was very shy for a few weeks but it learned to come out. now it is an aggressive feeder.

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds crazy but my tang loves formula 2 flakes, dont really recomend flakes to fresh macro but still the fish loves em, worht a shot if you are worried

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: