• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

New65Reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have CC as substrate. I see sand sifter packages available at most websites, but is there anything out there recommended for stirring CC bottoms?

Thanks

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white burrowing starfish that seems to get the job done. This guy goes around and cleans the top layer of substrate more than likely looking for little goodies in the sand. When it is done, it slightly buries itself in the sand until it is ready to feed again. I think they are reef-safe and I have never seen mine on my live rock.

The only thing is that they eat live critters out of the sand bed, so make sure you have enough open sand bed for them to eat. Also you said that you had crushed coral as a substrate. This starfish will need a fairly fine substrate to do well.

Steve

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any critter that actually "stirs" crushed coral. I think you are confined to animals that will eat organic detritus. I have seen good bristle worm and amphipod populations in cc substrate.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the best critter to stir a CC substrate is YOU!
icon_biggrin.gif

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second thought, this might be one of the situations where a brittle or serpent star could be very useful. I set my first reef up four/five years ago with puka shells of all things (newbie mistake) and my brittle would root around to get at detritus. Plus it's fund to watch it eat. Just feed it plenty 'cause they need more than just detritus IMO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: