Eng Keat

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new to this hobby and is currently in the preparation stage of setting up a tank. I intend to use both LR and LS. Just to make sure I got the steps right,

1) Can I cycle the LR and LS together at the same time in the tank? Or
I must cycle the LR in the bare bottom tank. After which, the LS will be cycle next?

2) Since the DSB will be a couple of inches deep (abt 4), would it be advisable to place the LR touching the tank bottom (held by the sand) or
should the LR be laying on the sandbed?

EK

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the LS and LR in at the same time - it wouldn't be a problem as far as curing goes - however...

You may want to put the rock in first and let it sit for a few weeks. The rock may shed lots of crap the first few weeks (depending on how much die-off you get, etc.), and if you don't have the sand in yet you can blow the rocks off with a turkey baster or powerhead and then syphon the detritus off the bottom.

This step isn't really necessary, but I think it can help get you started in the right direction for keeping nutrient levels down in the tank (just that much less crap in your system to start out).

As far as the rock structure goes, opinions vary. In truth, I don't think it matters much what you do. Lots of people build the rock stucture right on the bare tank bottom, or construct pvc/plastic supports to hold their stucture (if they want to elevate it above the sand). Those methods are probably more stable than just putting the rock on top of the sand, but I've put the rock on the sand in several tanks and never had any problems.

Remember to keep the circulation and skimming good and strong during the curing process.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: