• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I just visited all the sites and tried to download samples:

I have a call in to Bill (Bill, if you read this, check your cell phone and home answering machines for my cell phone number so we can work this out on the phone and look at files online at the same time) to get this straight.

Here is what should exist and will soon

Labs folder - a single document describing the lab - this is fine - downloads, opens, and reads clearly

Quiz folder - Week 3 quiz in 2 formats.
There is no Week 4 quiz, nor will there be.
Soon, if I can get through this part, i will have a Week 2 quiz analaysis posted in the Week 2 quiz folder.- this is fine - downloads, opens, and reads clearly

Lectures folder:
We have a discrepancy in that the intro week is listed as Week 1. In other folders, the Week 1 is the week we did fossil corals. This should be fixed...calling Week 1 an Intro and the fossil lecture Week 1

We have nothing in a Week 4 folder (that should actually be called Week 3 folder). This folder should contain a short lecture that has imbedded jpegs of explanation for the histology scans and looks like previous week's lectures. There should also be a folder called "Bauplan" with reading as described in the lecture - 25 pages worth. There should be a third folder called Coral Histology with 14 pages of text as jpg's and 4 micrograph scans as tiff file types.

We have nothing in a Week 5 folder (that )shoudl actually be called a Week 4 folder. This is for next week, and it should have 38 pages of text as jpeg's from Dubinsky.

Texts Folder (requires username and password)
We have a Reading 3 that contains the stuff that whould be in the Lectures folder for week 3.
We have a Reading 4 that contains the stuff that should be in the Lectures folder for week 4

We do not have any of the actual EIS or Aquarium Corals texts in the Texts for Weeks 3 or 4 folder. They are scanned and sent.. Where are they? I don't know.

And, to add insult to injury, i can't open the jpg files anyway. Obviously some of you have been able to open them. Obviously, some of you haven't.

All i can say is thank goodness I'm leaving for a few weeks LOL

So, I'm going to get this straightened out with Bill on the phone as soon as he calls.

damn

sigh

eric

A

Anonymous

Eric, Bill,

The problem with the JPEGs is they have extra text added at the start and end of the files. I suspect this occured during file transfer - or it is some pecularity of Macs. Eric, how are you sending them to Bill? Bill, how are you putting them up on the site? Is it possible these were sent ASCII instead as binary?

This is the header in one of the files:

--ad_0_31318102_boundary
Content-Type: application/applefile; name="page 1.jpg"; X-Mac-Creator="474b4f4e";
X-Mac-Type="4a504547"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

This is the footer:

--ad_0_31318102_boundary--

JPEG files I create myself don't have headers and footers like this and go straight to binary information.

The graphics package that I use (PMView) is able to read these files, despite the headers and footers and I can then convert them to B&W and print them.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

A

Anonymous

I have found that Mac jpegs created by Photoshop do not work on PC machines. BUT, I use a program called Graphic Converter that add the right information to create PC .jpg files and have never had a problem with any PC user opening the files.

Also, they seem to be working fine in some cases and not in others...

by the way, that's a great shareware program for everyone, PC and Mac alike - the file types it can create are incredible and nice tools, to boot.

Eric

A

Anonymous

PMview is an great program. Even the evaluation copy is letting me do all the good things. I'm converting all the jpeg's Eric sent me to .gif and then uploading them in appropriate places.

A

Anonymous

Bill,

You may want to convert them to .jpg's instead of .gif's. I just took a look at the folders and a ## of the .gif's that you have currently converted over to .gif are over 2 MB in size whereas when they were in .jpg format they were about 700 KB. Not all of us have a T1 line...
wink.gif

Just a thought...

Shane

A

Anonymous

I found with the 1M JPEGs that are jsut text, I converted them to B&W and saved them as GIF and they went to between 100 and 200k. The ones with pictures I tweaked the brightness and contrast and converted them to 16 shades of grey and saved them as GIF to about the same size (1M). They print really well.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

A

Anonymous

Files are up and working. There are only 2 or 3 filies that are missing
Bill

A

Anonymous

ATJ,
I'm having so much trouble with this....do you have access to a fax machine. Please call me 0407 866 067

thanks

Lachlan

A

Anonymous

I assume the starting place for Week 3 is contained in this short lecture that Eric refers too....has anyone been able to find it?

We have nothing in a Week 4 folder (that should actually be called Week 3 folder). This folder should contain a short lecture that has imbedded jpegs of explanation for the histology scans and looks like previous week's lectures. There should also be a folder called "Bauplan" with reading as described in the lecture - 25 pages worth. There should be a third folder called Coral Histology with 14 pages of text as jpg's and 4 micrograph scans as tiff file types.

Dan

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to convert the lecture to something readable by a pc but having hard problems opening it. As soon as I get it saved you'll see it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: