A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with a little redish-brown color organism in your tank. I have these guys in my tank and I don't have any idea what they are. They started off in the sand and now I see them on the glass. They are about as big as a grain of rice and sort of transparent. They don't seem to be harming anything at all. Just wondering what they may be. Thank for your help, Roy

A

Anonymous

Sound like planaria...if thats the case these guys multiply like crazy. Do they look kindof triangular? I hope you don't have those guys!

Clark

A

Anonymous

I think Clark is right; sounds like planaria from all I've heard about them. A six-line wrasse might eat them. Worth a try...

------------------
My drug habit cost less, but reef colors are better!

A

Anonymous

I have those brownish (i.e. photosynthetic, not parasitic) planaria, and I put in a six-line that seems to keep them in check. They are still around, that's for sure, but in no way "taking over the tank" as I've heard the worst cases described.

From what I've heard, using fish like the six-line is touch and go. Sometimes the fish just don't take to em. However, if you have a good lfs, you might want to run a "rent-to-own" plan by them so you can get a fish that does the job. HTH

ReefLion

A

Anonymous

Are these guys harmful to any sps or any other corals. Non of the corals seem to be bothered by them at all. Actually everything is doing great. Go figure, I'm going to try a 6 line wrasse, I have a green spotted mandarin that has been in the tank for some time now. About 2 years to be exact, but I guess there are too many for him to deal with. Could I get another mandarin? This is such a pain in the neck, I'm such a phenotic for my tank. Thanks for all the help. Thanks Roy

A

Anonymous

only one mandarin unless it's a female or they will fight i think

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: