• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gabemerrill

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up an 80 + gallon capacity system and am about to finish the stand and plumb the system.

Its a 50 gallon (36x18x18) with a 30 long (36x12x12) mounted above. They overflow into sump with skimmer (TopFathom T-100) and refugium (5g).

I'm currently planning on getting "The Package" from TBS and keeping the fish population relatively low (clown or 2, Korin Angel,Hi Fin Red Banded Goby(s) or Firefish Goby(s) and possible something more exotic in the 30)

I'm planning on plumbing with 3/4 inch pvc. I've got an iwaki90rlt on the sump up to the 50 and haven't bought the pump up to the 30 yet. Any suggestions... its going to be pushing a 5.5 - 6 foot head.

I also haven't made a final decision about lighting, I've got an icecap 660 and was thinking 3x96 vho on the 50 and 1x96vho on the 30, Or running 96 watt pc (pc would fit better) instead of the vho. Any Comments?

Attachments

• reefsetupp4wireing_smaller.jpg
    reefsetupp4wireing_smaller.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,240
  • reefsetupp3plumbing_smaller.jpg
    reefsetupp3plumbing_smaller.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,247
  • reefsetupp2_smaller.jpg
    reefsetupp2_smaller.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3,249
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your diagrams are some of the best and clearest ones I ever see around. If I want a scientific illustrator, I will definite want someone with your skill.

Anyway, it looks like the stand will be kind of tight, and that's why you have a smallish refug. and sump (you did not mention the size of the sump...). You have to be more careful when it come to the choice of overflow when the sump is small, since even a small frustration in the tanks' water level will result in large different in the sump level.

I don't know about the Korin angle, but my feeling is that it can be too small if you put it in the 50 gal... you may want to check other's experience and decide on that. Firefishes and clowns will be fine. I have no experience with the red banded.

Double check on the pump's model number... I don't think I ever see a 90RLT by Iwaki... if it is more powerful than a 70RLT, say, for example, it is a pretty big pump for the setup, and you maybe able to tee-off the output and use one pump for both the 50 gal and 30 gal instead of having two pumps. Most real (non-powerhead) pressure pump can handle the head pressure without problem.

I would go with the 3 feeter PC (96W). But that's more of a personal preference. Looks like it will be a great tank! Keep us updated! :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Welcome to Reefs.org! :D

It looks like you done a lot of homework. I don't know enough about the plumbing your doing to comment on it. I was wondering about the weight of the 30 long on top and if the tank below and stand was prepared for how much that might weigh.

Granted a 30 long is a lot smaller than my 75gal, but a good 5" + sandbed in it was 200lbs alone. Add water and live rock, bunch of weight.

Show us some pic's when you get it started. :D

gabemerrill

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I checked and its a 20RLT, my notes were a little hard to read. I got it with the 50 and the sump, which you're right is a little small. I haven't plumbed everything yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go to something bigger to avoid making a mess, probably acrylic or fiberglass over custom built-in shape. Has anyone tried that?

Buffalo, its a 3/4" plywood under the tanks with 1/2 hardwood plywood sides and I braced the side corners with 1"x1"s. Sound reasonable? I am going to fill it up outside to make sure it doesn't explode (even though thats only ~80% what it will weigh w/rock and sand)

-Gabe

Attachments

• saltstandstained_3_smaller.jpg
    saltstandstained_3_smaller.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3,225
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling it up outside as a test is a good idea. You might be just fine with the construction. I'm not an expert in building something like that. Just expressing my concern of the weight of the top tank. Keep and eye on it. Your work looks as though you have plenty of experience. If there is a problem to be found you will most likely spot it.

Micah00

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you design and build your setup, have it built or what? That is really neat and I don't think I have ever seen a setup like that. I agree with David a 50 gal will be too small for a koran. They will grow to about 15" and full grown that will be almost 1/2 your tank length. Also with the larger angels, if you are wanting to reef this tank, they are more prone to nip @ your corals. And once they get a taste it's buffet time. I would suggest a dwarf angel if you really want an angel, there are several that people have had success with in a reef tank.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it seems like a really cool system, however I don't really understand why you are seperating the two tanks. Are you trying to keep several different eco-systems in one system? Sorry, I guess I am just a bit lost.

Mike

gabemerrill

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks for the advise on the angle, I didn't know they munched on coral. As for the setup, yea I designed and am building it. Actually putting the first coat of spar on it and doing the wireing and plumbing this weekend. I found a great deal on these two tanks and thought I could use the thirty long as a refugium above the main reef tank, but as I did more reading I realized that the refugium won't be very pretty so I'm planning on making the top tank a reef as well, but with this setup I can keep fish that pick on eachother in seperate tanks, plus I think it looks pretty sweet. I'm planning on plumbing the system with 1/2" pvc ( for return) and 3/4" pvc ( for overflow ) right now.

Pamela

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup. As for the return pump, I would personally opt to keep it simple and return to both tanks with the same pump using ball valves to regulate flow. Less electricity, Less to maintain.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: