esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Kent Marine RO/DI unit 30gps 3-stage (I think it is a three stage; it has three chambers hanging, and one above, which I believe has the RO membrane in it) a month or so ago.

Questions:

1. What is the duty cycle of the different membranes/filters, etc?
2. Do I need a DS Meter? What it does it do?
3. If I haven't used the unit for a couple of weeks, do I need to run it for a period of time to flush out the chambers? If so, how long?
4. What are the different chambers called, and what do they do?
5. Are there any good resources that I can use (links?, books?) where I can find out more about RO/DI units? (The info that come with the unit didn't even say how to set it up!)

Thanks in advance.

Ernie

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ernie,

I am not an RO expert, but may I suggest that you go to AquaFX's website. They are a sponsor of this board, so you could click on their logo.

I have been to their site several times. If memory serves me, they have an RO FAQ and can probably answer most of your questions.

HTH

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
Did you buy the unit brand new? i'm surprised that you got such limited instructions. I have the 50gpd unit, and found more than enough info with it, along with the website, www.kentmarine.com.
The first stage is a mechanical filter (probably 5 micron), the second stage is carbon, the third stage is the membrane (cylinder on top), and the forth stage is the deioniziation canister. Did you get the transparent containers for the bottom 3 canisters? I have them , and find it useful for telling when a cartridge needs replacing.
I plumbed in a temp guage and a pressure guage to kind of tell me when my membrane needs replacing. Based on temp of water input and pressure supplied, you should have a waste/supply ratio of 1/4, I think. (see the website)
As a rule, I replace the carbon every 6 months, the micron filter when it gets really dirty looking, and the DI cartridge when it changes from purple to yellow. The RO membrane I change yearly.
As far as the DS meter, that stands for dissolved solids, and I don't know where to get one. I did get, however, a water quality report from the city, no charge. Of course, that doesn't tell me what my water is like from my own taps. I live in an old house with galvanized pipes.
When I got my RO unit running for the first time, I ran it for 12 hours, to get rid of any preservatives in the membrane.

Mitch

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: