Q

qqfob

This is the second time my big Red Rock Anemone laid eggs. Not sure if it's fertile but I do have two of these Anemones in my tank.

The first time was two weeks ago at like 4am and I didnt know what was happening so I only managed to take a picture. This time, was an hour ago and I was able to turn off all the pumps and catch it with a baster and put it in a cup.

Now... what do I do with it?

Q

qqfob

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
There was stuff coming out from the mouth I was told it was spawning. so i collected what came out. but that was like a year ago and I did not do anything to the "spawn"

however, there are 2 baby rock anemones in my tank that I have been watching grow for a few months now. they were about 1/8th to 1/4 inch when i first noticed them and the bigger one is now over 1/2 inch in diameter

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, sorry I didn't look at the date.

Was the stuff coming out of it's mouth brownish? Anemones may dump their zooxanthellae. They should not do this often, though.

There was stuff coming out from the mouth I was told it was spawning. so i collected what came out. but that was like a year ago and I did not do anything to the "spawn"

however, there are 2 baby rock anemones in my tank that I have been watching grow for a few months now. they were about 1/8th to 1/4 inch when i first noticed them and the bigger one is now over 1/2 inch in diameter

BellaGabriella

Pretty Perfectionist
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This it pretty cool I've recently got in to rock anemones and been reading up on how they breed a posed to splitting/budding. I have three very uniquely colored rock nems I'm hoping they bread. How big we're yours when u noticed this happening? Mine are approx 1 to 2in ..

ToddGardner

Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this post is years late, but just for the record, anemones, like all cnidarians, are capable of sexual AND asexual reproduction. So they can and do produce eggs and sperm. It's generally less successful in aquaria as their gametes and larvae tend to get filtered out before settlement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: