Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test solution color of a new Salifert phosphate test kit is compared to that of a kit that has been in use for six months. The old kit indicated a somewhat lower phosphate level (see picture). The new kit gave a phosphate concentration of ~0.5 ppm for a new batch of Instant Ocean spiked with ~0.4 ppm phosphate.

Just making sure that I am in the ballpark with phosphate levels because I am trying to culture cyanobacteria which is another story in the making.

CompareSalifertPO4_zps36d01f3e.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
That test kit gets you in the ballpark of about .1
Kind of useless for low range testing.

The hanna low range phosphate meter is the best that I've used and it's only accurate to .04. It give consistent readings though. I usually test 2 or 3 times in a row for better accuracy.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hanna test will give inconsistent test if inside tube is not wipe clean. Talking about the unit itself. Sometimes a tiny drop of water leaks and will dry up leaving a cloudy resin which you can't see. Try wiping it with a soft cloth and use pencil. It worked for me. Also make sure no finger prints on glass tubes. See if it helps.. It work wonders for me.
Salifert new kits make a darker color reading which will give you a easier way to match the color chart. Read the instruction it should say it.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan you only need to be in the ball-part. Any kit or meter is off, some more than others. The first thing to always look for is not the resolution of the kit- meter, such as 1-5 ppm in 0.2 increments but the accuracy of the kit-meter. If such kit-meter is in .2 increments it is not much of a kit if the accuracy is is +|- 0.5 ppm. That means if it read, say 1.7, then the sample has a level somewhere between 1.2 and 2.2 and you do not know where.

Last edited:

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan you only need to be in the ball-part. Any kit or meter is off, some more than others. The first thing to always look for is not the resolution of the kit- meter, such as 1-5 ppm in 0.2 increments but the accuracy of the kit-meter. If such kit-meter is in .2 increments it is not much of a kit if the accuracy is is +|- 0.5 ppm. That means if it read, say 1.7, then the sample has a level somewhere between 1.2 and 2.2 and toy do not know where.

I am with you on this. Salifert is close to my "spiked" sample which is what I needed to know.

Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: