• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

This project is a ways off, but am starting my research now. I'm looking for ideas and input. Now for a little background. My wife and I are looking for some propery to build a new home. My idea is to build in a large (4-500gal.) tank into my office wall. I want to also build a pond outside of the Master-bath. The wall overlooking the pond would be basically all glass. In the pond I would like to plant Red Mangrove trees and create a littly tropical estuary. I would then connect the two together. My Idea is the estuary would act like a refugium. I would like this pond to be lit with natural sunlight, but I don't want polution or dilution from rain. I guess a glass roof would work. Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this. I thought of it because, my uncle built a tropical garden around the outside of his master bath and it was beautiful. I could just imagine being in the tub looking out over my very own mangrove estuary. I would assume you could build the pond like a small pool. Any ideas or comments?????

jdvalero

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think about is the HUGE bill you will get for Electricity in order to heat up that system.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
In FL, it should not be too bad. In fact, with good insulation, the heating bill should not be much more than a regular green house. Sun got lots of IR, you know.

Dazureus

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool idea. The only problem that crossed my mind is the evaporation. I would think that a pond has a higher surface/volume ratio that a normal tank and in a greenhouse might be evaporate more readily. What are your plans to combat this? I'm not sure how much it rains in Florida, but some rain barrels hooked up to pressure pumps and R/O units might save on your water bill.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Evap. can be easily taken care of with minimium circulation (better insulation->lower heat cost). Just get a CO2 generator, and the mangrove will be happy as a ... clam?!?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a tank in a greenhouse. The biggest problem will be cooling the water, not heating it. How do you intend to control your heat build-up?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if dehumidifying the room would increase evaporation enough to effectively cool it. You could run the condensate back through your RO/DI unit.
Or, just build in an adjustable vent at the top.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an interesting project, but one question- do you get any salt spray from either side ( I know that can travel miles in the air)-possibly contaminating an outdoor tank? That would be my only concern about the whole idea-sheilding it from rain may prevent this as well. Keep us updated on your progress! (pics are always welcome)

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Sea World. They have several outdoor ponds in their systems at their Florida location and also (I think) their California location. Wherever those Disney World or Disney Land things are.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Dehum. water is not good for reef tank. Some use copper/aluminum coil, and you may end up with metal water... don't know if RO will take care of the metal, but water is so cheap in most places, that you should not need to do that.

Yes, dehum. will jack up the evap., but you will need go air circulation over the top of the water surface to get the evaporative cooling to work well enough for cooling the tank.

Consider the amount of money this project going to cost, I will use a chiller for the initial design.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: