• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
How much of a difference in temperature can SPS typically handle?

Over the past few days it's been pretty warm here. I'm not complaining of course, but it does make me wonder about my tank.

In the morning the temp reading on my RKL is about 78.9-79.5 depending. After the MH's shut off at night, the temp is usually about 81. I'm fine with that daily swing, but lately the evening temp has reached anywhere from 83.6-83.9.

I have fans in my canopy and decent evaporation (it evaps about 3-4 gallons per week)

This question is really geared toward SPS because my fish, LPS, and Zoas all seem to be fine (almost unaffected really).

Thanks in advance.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I honestly feel that 76 is a bit too low, IMO.

I wonder if it'd be cheaper to run the air conditioner constantly (we have an apartment and they 'come with' a large room AC unit in the living room and one in the bedroom. They're not as efficient but at least the whole room would be cooler...)

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I just went out and bought a small fan for the sump area. I'm planning on installing it this afternoon. Hopefully that will help.

I've also heard that temp swings of 3-4 degrees aren't the end of the world, and if things are too stable, it makes SPS corals more likely to suffer if something small goes out of whack one day...

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
that is right is when things aren't to stable that sps do get stressed but you also don't want the temp to go too high !
putting fans on the sumps and over the top can help if you have AC is on but evaporation is way high! adding water every day will be a sure thing!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Eric my sps have been able to handle 84. don't remember what came after the .! I don't run a chiller, and I have yet to find an electrician willing to come, and install the outlet for my ac.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
well.. today I ended up trying a few things... first, I kept the canopy doors open all day. I also kept the ambient room temperature down through the use of the AC unit. I bought a larger fan, but it was too large and didn't fit right, so I'm going to have to return it for something smaller.

The highest it got was 82. Looks like I'm going to be running the AC a bit more.. which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. ;)

And edit: after reading through the post for typos/etc.. it's really pretty obvious why the temps stayed down :lol2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: