• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

lwall

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie to saltwater, having just turned my 300gal from fresh to salt in Feb.this year. I have a spawning pair of Bangaii cardinals (the male is holding his second batch of 20 day old babies right now). I have a pair of neon dottybacks that spawn in a hole in some live rock every 10-18 days or so. I also have a pair of longfin fairy wrasses. Yesterday the male did this sort of spiral dance in front of the female trying to attract her to a tunnel in some live rock. He would start in mid water in a corner of the tank, fin flash, and then clamp his fins down and spiral horizontally down to the hole. The whole time the female stayed close by, watching with interest. This afternoon I have noticed that the male and female are wedged into this hole/tunnel together. Is this typical spawning behavior for this type of wrasse? Anybody have any insight? Thanks.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that is courting behavior for Cirrhilabrus. Some will dart very fast in vertical directions, so be sure the top of your tank is covered. It's very interesting to watch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: