eleonard

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have two blue ribbon eels (R. quasita) in my 90 gal reef tank. Last night, one of them spawned for the second time.
Does anyone have an experience with spawing eels. I would like to raise the fry, although it seems like providing the rite food for the fry is the bottleneck.

Thank you for any suggestion and help.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have to congratulate you on even keeping the eels aalive in a tank, and they spawned? WOW! That is totally amazing! Just wanted to give a little (actually, big) congrats!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Adam1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charles,

I was thinking the same thing.

Eleonard... The answer will provide the information necessary to know weather the eggs will be fertile or not.

Adam

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to extrapolate from the post that they're both blue? If so, would it then be safe to extrapolate that the spawn is not viable?

oceanarus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought young males were black, mature males blue, and females (after having been a male) were yellow, in the last stage of it's natural life.

Luis M

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right Oceanarus.I see that Eleonard never posted again in his thread.It would help to know what made him think the fish was spawning in the first place.Most fish show external fertilization and at least two are needed to make it.

dryside

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the females are white with a yellow stripe (dorsal fin...is it a dorsal on an eel?). But they all have yellow stripes, hence ribbon.

And the problem with eels isn't so much the food supply as it is the extremely long pelagic phase.

dryside

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the females are white with a yellow stripe (dorsal fin...is it a dorsal on an eel?). But they all have yellow stripes, hence ribbon.

And the problem with eels isn't so much the food supply as it is the extremely long pelagic phase.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: