eddi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Mariner,

that was a great suggestion, I will give them a call.

David,

yes, I do have a sand bed and yes, I did try to place the worms under their snout but they still did not eat. I will try to find live black worms, as well as some brine shrimp.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Eddi

eddi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a ray that I did not know was pregnant, and she had two babies night before last. I have spent the past two days searching the net on how to take care of them and have come up completely empty.

David, if you read this, I tried to target feed them frozen bloodworms with no luck. They both completely ignored them. How often should I try, every day? The mother is not eating either, and I am starting to get worried.

if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I would love to hear them!

thanks,
Eddi

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some shrimps and squash their heads before you put them in. I have to do that with mice for baby snakes, it might be worth a try. Good luck too you, we can only do our best.
icon_wink.gif

Green Mariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some links that might help!! http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5826/ http://www.csulb.edu/web/labs/sharklab/research/drlowe/stingray/reproduction.html http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/ca/stingray.asp

Try contacting underwater world @ 1-888-DIVE-TIME
Underwater Adventures
120 East Broadway
Bloomington, MN 55425
they have been successfully raising stingray babies! ask about littleboy's babies!

ray's are preditors try some silver sides or some live mollys, see if that works!

Some of the above links may be related to freshwater rays but it may give you an idea on what the babies eat.

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by eddi:
I bought a ray that I did not know was pregnant, and she had two babies night before last. I tried to target feed them frozen bloodworms with no luck. They both completely ignored them. How often should I try, every day? The mother is not eating either, and I am starting to get worried.

Ok fozen bloodworms wouldn't be my 1st choice for this ( though I did mention them in your previous thread ) but they may work. You have to place them directly under the snout of the babies.
You do have a live sandbed I hope ? If so the babies will eat various pods and worms in the sand.
First choice for foods would be live annelid worms though these are probably gonna be tough to find.
Second choice would be live black worms from a bait shop or even small red worms ( basically any live small worm as the babies can not chew these so they have to be small enough to be swallowed whole ) and these all have to be placed under the babies snout.
Third choice for food be live brineshrimp or daphnia again basted under the babies snout.
I'd try to feed at least 2 to 3 times a day trying different foods until you have success with one or all.
At the moment you should concentrate on the babies eating as right now the mother is stressed out and probably wont eat for awhile.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: