• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kwirky

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of writing an open source aquarium calculator software, where I'll get my hands on ALL the formulas/calculations I can, and implement them.

Can anyone think of any formulas they'd like to see in something like that?

There's standard stuff, like aquarium volume, water weight, etc.

I'm thinking of additional stuff like minimum aquarium glass thickness, chemical dosing recipes/formulas, and maybe even working with data, like Sanjay's lighting data?

I was also thinking of having a means for somone to keep track of their aquarium, like readings over time, livestock in the tank. Kinda databasing with the ability to make charts n stuff.

Any ideas or suggestions? You don't have to know how to calculate it, but if you can think of something you wish could be calculated, I could look into it.

dbsherwood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a cool idea.

One suggestion I have is regarding dosing, if you can do the quick and easy calcs on how much additive should be given considering a certain rate of depletion.

For example, if you know the # of gallons, beginning dKH and ending dKH for a time period, you could provide dosing instructions on a daily/hourly basis for whatever compound the person is using (let them put in some info regarding concentrations etc.). It would simplify a bunch of math we have to do know, and allow us to record it somewhere other than our heads.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe a ppt - specific gravity calculator and how salinity varies with a given temperature?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont forget the formula for calculating how many gallons will fit in a given container given that container's dimensinos.

A salt water weight calculator may be useful for some who don't know how much salt water weighs :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formulas for lighting-related calculation, if you really want to have a big headach. Try to find a good formula for calculation etendue (or A-Omega product) for a light fixture :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am constantly using calculators for
alk/ca balance
alk conversions mql/dkh

Here is a link to links of the ones I use.

I think it would rock to have them all in one place. :D

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dunno about you guys but any program can benefit from having boobs any and everywhere boobs galore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: