A

Anonymous

Pg 423 in the text, I read that CaCO3 is more solulable in colder water, restricting vigorous reef development. Looking at that issue only does that mean it dissolves faster than it can accumulate?

------------------
reef as if your life depended on it. Yours might but the sea's does
Doug @ TheReefTank.com administrator

A

Anonymous

It also mentions elsewhere that calcium production by hermatypic corals slows down as their matabolism slows down when exposed to lower temperatures. This would also seem to have some bearing on your question.

Not an answer but another point to consider.

A

Anonymous

I think what happens is in deeper colder water (and with a lower pH due to more CO2) more calcium carbonate can dissolve. That is, there is a higher concentration. As this water comes into tropical areas due to general ocean circulation, the water is bascially saturated (and maybe supersaturated) with calcium carbonate and is on the verge of precipitating due to the lower solubility in the warmer water with higher pH. I believe this makes it easier for corals and other calcium carbonate accumulators to deposit the CaCO3 into their skeletons. In colder water this situation does not exist as the water is not saturated with CaCO3.

Additionally, as you mention, in colder water there may be a greater rate of dissolving that precipitating.

And Chris also raises a good point about metabolic rates.

I guess we'll see what Eric thinks...

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

[This message has been edited by ATJ (edited 23 March 2001).]

A

Anonymous

ATJ is right, except for the aspects of coral calcification. Corals produce a supersaturated state between the polyp and the skeleton, but we'll learn more about that later. Certainly the water conditions make it more favorable, though.

Eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: