A

Anonymous

I just added a tigertail to my 29 gal tank so that it could help stir the 2 inch crushed coral substrate (about 4 years-old). I have two questions:

1) Are tiger tails known to eat more than just algae and detritus (eg, worms, copepods etc...)?

2) I noticed that my tiger tail is on the rocks and even on the glass a lot. Is this normal?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Tiger Tails are very interesting critters. Mine is extra huge(no inuendos intended). I came home last night and it was tangled up in my RIO 1700. I don't think it was in danger, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I removed him and put him in the center of the tank. I don't know if they can learn, but I have been removing him from the glass every time that I see him on it. He always seems to get into trouble when he starts climbing the glass. Back to what I was saying, this guy is like a foot and a half long when stretched out! They are much better than the brown cukes that I originally got.

Krauss

------------------
"....there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...."

[This message has been edited by Krausser (edited 03 November 1999).]

A

Anonymous

Tiger Tails will generally stay under the rocks in your reef tank. they dislike light. They will come out at night though. Of all the cucs commonly available, this one will turn over the most amount of substrate.

They pretty much eat everything that goes in their mouth. In a small tank, they can destroy a sand bed full of life, but in a larger tank, the life reproduces. Critters in the sand shouldn't get eatten because the cuc is very slow and doesn't activly search for food.

I put one in my tank and it climbed all over the rocks for a few days. It then found a large hole in a LR that must contain a great deal of settled food. It has been 4 weeks and I have not seen him come out. Unless he came out and is hiding.

Watch the cuc on the glass. They might climb into a pump intake.

The non-filter feeding cucs are said to not be as toxic and fragile as the filter feeding cucs. I have had tiger and turd cucs take quite a beating in my tanks.

------------------
iRIDE w/ my SLO fizz

A

Anonymous

Sratch the MIA on the cuc. Just happened to see him tonight.

A

Anonymous

Funny this post to come up. I was just thinking about getting a cuc. So, they are not hard to care for? I've got 110lbs LR and 100lbs LS. What are their enemies? I've got hermits, Cowfish, Yellow Box, Mandarin and couple of Blennies.

A

Anonymous

Nymph,

To my knowledge, they have no predators on the "reef-safe" list of fish. They mind their own business and move so slowly that they pose no threat to other critters. I would definitely go with the Tiger Tail as opposed to the Brown or Red. The Tiger Tail is quite colorful and almost looks like a tentacle of an octopus. They clean under the LR and will come out into the open at night. I have a 110G with 90lbs LR(plan to get a little more). I have a Tiger and two brown cukes. My sandbed is very clean. They tend to go up on the LR when the sand is clean and by the time they are done there, the sandbed has detritus on it, so they go back to work on it.

Krauss

------------------
"....there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...."

A

Anonymous

Uhu--

Uhu-- Just a word on TT's. IME, they prefer a small grained substrate, as opposed to crushed coral, to sift through their gut. Mine also climbs on the glass and stays for weeks at a time. I have 2 in a 72 gal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: