spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to get Peppermint shrimp (lysmata) from Tonga, I think they came from Steve. Is anyone getting shrimp from Tonga?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Bookfish (IBTH), he's now managing a station in Tonga :D

If you have any collection ideas for him, I'm sure he'd be open to trying them ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is actually collecting shrimp for export in Tonga. I could be wrong, but I didn't see anyone doing it when I was there.

:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spawner, are you sure the ones you were getting were from Tonga?

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Steve was bring them in about 2 years ago. They were coming from Tonga, at least that is what I was told. Pretty different species from what we get over here in the Atlantic. I had some tissue samples of it but the vials dried out. The species is in an interesting place in the genus and I would love to get another look at them. Tonga and Fiji would be covered up in Lysmata, just have to know where to look.

Steve, you were bring those shrimp in correct? I can't remember the common name they were being sold as. The guy that I buy all my samples from always gives me the exact export location of the samples as best he can.

While we are own the subject, anyone getting any fire shirmp with more spots on their back than normal? They would be coming out of the Maldives.

andy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I worked for Steve two years ago and we didn't get any shrimp from Tonga then. In fact, two years ago, I don't think we were recieving any Tongan stuff. We dealt with Christian and Eddie when they were together for a few shipments and prior to that, Coral Kingdom. There was a several year Tongan dry spell for us at Cortez Marine in between those two shippers.

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greshman,

I have to ask the LFS that gets most of my shrimp for me. I think they were ordering from someone south of LA when they got them. But they were telling me they were from Tonga. Could have been 3 years ago, can't really remember.

I'll upload a picture

andy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be Fish Heads Inc. I belive. Cortez Marine wasn't based in that area at the time, we were in San Carlos (south of SF).

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was San Carlos, I can't remember. They got some mexican stuff at the same time I think. I'll ask and get back to you.

andy

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tongapeppermint.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, IIRC we were getting those from the Philippines. We called them "tiger" shrimp. I bet you did get those from us.

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take at least a dozen. Yes I think they were called Tiger peppermints or something like that.

Steve, can those bet gotten from the Phillppines anymore?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got those from two sources, one I don't think is in business any longer and the other is:

Aquarium Habitat
812 S. Laurel Street
Mandaluyong City 1501
Manila, Philippines
Tel. +63 2 723-8174
Email [email protected]

Who's your LFS, Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff ? :D

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get the shrimp, I'll get you an LFS ;)

I've got a store in town that procures this sort of thing for me. But I could have a friend of mine that is a 104th street importer (can't believe he moved over there) pick them up and ship them my way now that I know where to get them. Do you know what Aq. Hab. called them?

Also you guys were getting in a large red shrimp around the same time. Big and red not other coloration to it at all. Be very interested in that one as well.

andy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: