Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....it would appear that my old tar VHO ballast has gone bad. I can't get the lights to work at all (they glow a little at the ends, but that's about it). The bulbs are new from March, so I don't think they are dead.

Anyhow...I'm trying to decide if I should go with Metal Halide (the DIY $100 metal halide) or get an electronic VHO ballast and keep going with VHO (new ballast will probably cost about $130 to $170).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eboman

jaydse

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know what size your tank is but if at lest a 55 would'nt you need 2 MH ? i like my vhos i just added 3 more 160 watters my coral is loveing it . chow

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a new ballast! Just kidding. If the bulb flickers, you probably need a new one. Try checking the wiring in the endcaps as well, as you might have a faulty connection, or some salt creeping in and screwing things up or some corrosion. As far as the MHs, don't know about the DIY kit, but I bought some cheapo MH fixtures from a hydroponics store, or, if you have any builder friends who can get contractor prices, get one to order you lights through a green house supplier. You'll need to change the bulbs for the proper spectrum, but it's worth the cost. I got a 175W fixture for $99 with a brand new plant bulb which I probably could have turned around and sold on e-bay for the cost of a new reef bulb. Also, it pays to check the hydroponics stores, because the one I went to sells a 400W fixture that you can set up to travel along a track and therefore simulate the movement of the sun. Have yet to purchase and eliminate the dead spots of my tank, but it's a future investment I will definitely be making.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: