A

Anonymous

The question was: Which of the following only affects coral reef development negatively? The correct answer is E, Bioerosion.

I'm confused because EIS, p. 618 talks about bioerosion, and seems to indicate that there are some positive aspects to go with the obvious negative aspects. Middle of the page, "Bioerosional processes are important components of reef development, since they control the rates of reef accretion as well as the redistribution of reefal sediments." And that about 17% of the CaCO3 removed was reincorporated.

I guess that controlling (limiting) the rate of reef accretion is a negative action, i.e. it removes more than it replaces.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by DennisL (edited 30 March 2001).]

A

Anonymous

Hi, Dennis

I think I answered this in another thread - you are correct. I was concerned with the actual impact to the reef itself and not with the long term consequences of carbonate erosion and reassimilation, but it is the case that it is not necessarily neagtive in that light...and so, that question was corrected. Good thinking, and good reading :)

eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: